ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Domain migration - administrator authentication?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Domain migration - administrator authentication?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick.baird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Domain migration - administrator authentication?
    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 2:02am
Hi All,

I have a couple of potentially stupid questions, but I'm going to ask them before I start the migration!

We are setting up a new 2016 domain controller, with a new AD domain name, and plan to use User Profile Wizard to migrate user profiles on existing Windows 7 desktops, and join the new AD domain.  As part of this process we will also be changing peoples AD login user names to match their email names.  The old domain controller is 2008R2.

The plan is to shut everything down, then fire up the new domain controller, which will also provide DHCP, DNS etc.  I will then manually go round the desktops to run User Profile Wizard to migrate the profiles.

My question is that in order to do this I will need to logon to the desktops with functioning administrator credentials.  Will the desktops have cached the old-domain\administrator credentials and allow me to use them when the old domain controller is not available on the network (but the new domain controller is)?

Thanks!

Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 2:11am
Theoretically, if you have signed onto the machines with the Administrator credentials in the past, the credentials should be cached locally. (As long as the machine is not unjoined from the domain.)

Personally, however, I think that is a high-risk strategy, and I would not rely on it as my only means of Administrator access to the machine.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic