ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Migrating UserData folder breaks Internet Explorer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Migrating UserData folder breaks Internet Explorer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchristian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Migrating UserData folder breaks Internet Explorer
    Posted: 02 Apr 2008 at 2:50pm
I recently used the User Profile Wizard (profwiz.exe) to migrate a user profile from an old PC to a new one.  I know there is a User Profile Transfer Wizard (transwiz.exe) but I already had copied the profile data to the new PC.

Here are the steps that I took.

1.  Setup the new PC (call it B) except the user profile.
2.  Copied the profile data from old PC (call it A) to C:\Documents and Settings\user\ .
3.  Ran User Profile Wizard to associate the unassigned profile with the user account.
4.  Logged into the "user" profile on the new B PC.

What happened next surprised me.

Viewing CNN Video in Internet Explorer did not work on this new PC, specifically only for the user profile that was migrated.  Going to http://www.cnn.com/ then any video link (usually several stories linked) caused a script error in Internet Explorer.

The script error "Data is invalid" came from http://www.cnn.com/.element/js/2.0/scripts/IEPersistence.html .

This CNN script seems to be using an Internet Explorer specific technology called "userData Behavior" (persistence).  http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms531424.aspx

After much searching around and dead ends, I found...

There is a hidden folder called UserData in the user's profile that stores persistent XML-based data across Internet Explorer browser sessions. Additionally, this UserData Behavior/Persistence is NOT deleted or cleared when emptying Temporary Internet Files, clearing the browser cache, repairing/reinstalling Internet Explorer or other such standard operations.

Solution: Delete the files and folders in the hidden folder %HOMEPATH%\UserData\

Once I deleted the files and folders in C:\Documents and Settings\user\UserData\ , then viewing CNN Video via user on B worked.  The UserData folder was re-populated with new XML-based data.

Note that Internet Explorer was/is version 6 SP1 + patches on both old and new PCs.  Also, this problem did not happen on the old (A) PC, only after migrating the profile.

Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2008 at 6:36am
Thanks very much for the post. This is something we will keep in mind.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic