ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Permissions not applied in the new domain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Permissions not applied in the new domain
    Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 2:03pm
Everything seemed to be okay migrating from one domain to another but the my permissions don't seem to be working on the new domain.

When I checked the effective permissions on the folder everything seems to be okay.

I can only view the folders but it won't let me do anything else.

Any clues?
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 2:55am
What folder are you referring to? A folder on the local PC or a folder on a network share on the new domain?
angelt1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 11:03am
I'm referring to network shares on the new domain.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 8:02am
User Profile Wizard only changes permissions on (local) profile files and folders. Itr does not change permissions on network shares.
angelt1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 10:12am
I understand it doesn't change permissions on network shares but if I am logged into the new domain and the user has permission on the new domain then it should be able to access the the resources as such.

In my case, it's not allowing me to access the things I have permission for. I have verified the effective permissions. I can see the folders but I cannot delete or move a file into the network share even though the user has permission to the share.

Do you think there could be a user SID issue on the new domain? If so, how would I fix it.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2014 at 12:11pm
It is unlikely to be a SID issue. Can you access the network share from another workstation as that user?
angelt1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2014 at 1:42pm
Ok, so I tried from a different workstation and still no luck. It still states "You need permission to perform this action".
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 4:36am
Clearly the problem is not related to the migration of the user profile on the original workstation, or the joining of that workstation to the new domain.

Obvious, but have you checked the permissions on the share as well as the effective permissions on the folder being shared?
angelt1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 5:00pm
Yes, all permissions have been checked and all permissions seem fine. This is why I am very puzzled. With the old domain, there were no issues with accessing the old and the new domain with the old user. Once I switched the user to the new domain that is when the problem started. The user under the new domain can see everything but can't do anything.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 9:16am
I do sympathize, but I think you can rule out User Profile Wizard having anything to do with the problem you are seeing. The software requires the user account in the new domain to already exist, and it does not change that account in any way whatsoever. The fact that you get the problem from a workstation that you did not run User Profile Wizard on, indicates that the problem exists at a network or server level, and not at the level of the workstation.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic