ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Desktop Management
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MSO-2010 Folders Not Copied

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zcm4scp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MSO-2010 Folders Not Copied
    Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 2:19pm
I'm using the personal edition of ForensIT to migrate my local user profile from Novell to a new Microsoft AD user profile (different name).  On the surface it appears to work fairly well.  However, after closer review, lots of application folders (Microsoft Office-2010, Acrobat, Symantec, Corel, etc/etc) do not get copied to the new domain user profile. These folders contain critical info & settings for my applications.

Base path is "c:\users\<domain user name>\appdata" for applications

Path is "c:\users\<domain user name>\appdata\roaming\microsoft" for Microsoft products.

How can I get these folders copied using the ProfWiz utility ??

Thanks.

Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 4:59am
User Profile Wizard does not move, copy or delete any data. Instead it configures the profile “in place” so that it can be used by the user’s new domain account.

There should be no "c:\users\<domain user name>" profile. When you logon with the new domain account you should continue to use the "c:\users\<old user name>" profile. If that is not happening the profile migration was unsuccessful. (Did you reboot the machine before logging in with the new domain account?)
zcm4scp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zcm4scp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 1:30pm
My 1st login after joining the domain creates the new domain profile.  I then reboot and log in as local admin to perform the ProfWiz migration.  Once completed I then reboot again.  The next login is with the new domain user, and appears to load ok. 

My apps are still pointing to the old profile, which is a problem.

I thought ProfWiz migrated the profile to the new domain user, then all subsequent logins would use the new domain profile folder structure.  If that is not the case, then I need to try another software option.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 2:26pm
User Profile Wizard configures the user's existing profile so that it is used by they new domain account. The apps are still pointing to the old profile because that is the profile the domain account is using.

You should absolutely not login and create a new profile for the domain account first. That profile will not be used once you run the Wizard to migrate the original profile to the new domain account.

If you want the profile to be renamed to match the new domain account name you will need to use the Professional or Corporate Editions.
zcm4scp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zcm4scp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 2:33pm
Thanks for that clarification.  I'll review the other licensed options.

Thanks !!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic