ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Desktop Management
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Problem With DefProf and Windows 8.1. Blank Tiles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problem With DefProf and Windows 8.1. Blank Tiles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clivebuckwheat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem With DefProf and Windows 8.1. Blank Tiles
    Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 10:44pm
Hi

I am currently evaluating DefProf to see if it would be something useful for our Lab Image.I might have found a bug.

Here's how my process.

1. Login as Admininstrator, do my installations, and customizations such as start screen, pin tiles to task bar etc

2.  create another user called CopyProfile With Administrator rights.

3. Logoff as Administrator and reboot.

4. Login as User CopyProile,Run DefProf from an elevated cmd prompt with DefProf c:\Users\Administrator /y  

5. DefProf completes successfully, logoff as User CopyProfile and reboot.

6. I login as a brand new user that has never logged into the machine before, start screen is all ok pinned apps to task bar is ok, homepage settings all ok in all browsers.

THE PROBLEM IS AS FOLLOWS BELOW.

When I go to the start screen click the down arrow and go to Apps by Name screen, certain icons such as camera, store, skydrive, pc settings, and desktop are blank, they still work but they are blank and by blank I mean they have no picture in them. Most of the icons are ok otherwise. I can't figure it out.

Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 11:28am
This is not something we have ever seen.

We have noticed that occasionally there is a delay in updating live tiles, but we have not seen any blank tiles.
clivebuckwheat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clivebuckwheat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 6:30pm
As you can see tiles are missing.

Edited by clivebuckwheat - 22 Jul 2014 at 6:31pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clivebuckwheat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 6:04pm
Is there anything I could do to resolve this issue?
ray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 11:57pm
try this in PowerShell (administrator)

powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register 'c:\program files\windowsapps\*\AppxManifest.xml

------
Ray

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clivebuckwheat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 10:52am
Thanks Ray.

I Think you missed a quote?

shouldn't it be

powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register 'c:\program files\windowsapps\*\AppxManifest.xml'

Also do I run this before I run defprof or after?

Edited by clivebuckwheat - 18 Aug 2014 at 10:53am
ray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 3:30pm
yes! sorry ... missed the ' - I would run it afterwards and see how it behaves.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clivebuckwheat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 10:12am
Also I have noticed that using defprof the appstore always updates apps every new login if even updating apps is turned off via gpedit.msc is there a fix for that issue?

Edited by clivebuckwheat - 24 Aug 2014 at 8:14pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clivebuckwheat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 8:13pm
Sorry, I didn't see the error the first time when running the powershell script. It gives an error

powershell : Add-AppxPackage : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts
argument
At C:\Windows\fixblanktiles.ps1:1 char:1
+ powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (Add-AppxPackage...cepts argument :Strin
   g) [], RemoteException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NativeCommandError

'files\windowsapps\*\AppxManifest.xml'.
At line:1 char:1
+ Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register c:\program
files\windowsapps\* ...
BVrieling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BVrieling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 8:48am
I have noticed the same problem ie. that the startscreen apps update with every new login (which is really bad for us because we use Deepfreeze, so we have "new logins" all the time).

At first I was not sure why the logins were so slow, but after I pressed CTRL-ALT-DELETE during the wait and then ESC, the screen showed what was going on (ie. the apps are updating).

It would be helpful to know if this is something which is on the radar to be addressed (ie. is it a problem, or is it just the way it is with DefProf?). Or, is this something User Profile Manager does better and we should use that?

Thanks,

...Bruce

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic