FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8.1 + UPM + AD + MS Store =

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8.1 + UPM + AD + MS Store =
    Posted: 16 Aug 2014 at 9:36am
User Profile Manager is designed to be permanently installed on a workstation to actively manage the user profiles. If you just want to create a default profile, you should use our free DefProf tool.
ray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2014 at 5:53am
yes! would that have effected it? i have purchased 5 licenses, which are not used.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2014 at 4:15am
Did you install User Profile Manager on on the base machine, use it to set the default profile, uninstall it and then created an image to deploy to your 90 laptops?
ray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 11:44pm

I am a lead desktop support professional in a private school. For years we have rolled out Windows images to hundreds of laptops and desktops without any issues but since Windows 8 has come out this has completely changed the way we have been doing things. Any non Microsoft approved solution is just a recipe for potential disaster if you are not meticulously careful.

I installed from scratch Windows 8.1 on a Laptop and proceeded to install all the software needed for our K12 School. Now it came to the moment of copying the profile to the default user profile. Downloaded and installed the Forensit UPM. All seemed to go well, joined the domain and logged on with a AD user account and the profile was as it should have been.

The biggest mistake that I made was prior to copying the profile to the DUP, I entered the MS Store to install some free apps so that our users would have some educational orientated Windows 8 apps when they got their new laptops, which worked fine prior to copying the profile to the DUP! BIG MISTAKE and nearly cost me my JOB!

As I meticulously configured and deployed 90 laptops with this image I was totally unaware that by entering the MS Store and installing Apps from one user account and copying to the DUP! would corrupt the MS Store on any new profile. 2 days before scheduling handing out 90 laptops to 90 eager recipients, the MS Store would not work *panic moment* I could log into the Store and download apps but they just refused to install. After hours and hours of troubleshooting and 2 sleepless nights, I had come to the conclusion, as I stated earlier that by entering the MS Store, linking MS accounts to AD accounts, downloading and installing Windows 8 apps, unlinking and logging out, then copying to DUP was the biggest mistake I ever made in my IT career.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic