ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows strore and file association problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MatthGyver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows strore and file association problem
    Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 4:32am
Hi,

I'm using Forensit deployement kit (version pro 3.7.5038.9917) and after migration, when the user open his session, the launch session process stop at  "Processing windows store Apps..."
Only one solution : reboot the computer
After reboot, session is open normaly but I lost file association and when I change file association there are no effect :-/
The file association is link to the profile (and windows store configuration ???) so I think that this information can't be write into user profile but I'm not sure.

I've migrated 3 computer at this moment and I've this problem for all :-/

Could you help me please ?
Thank you
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 5:42am
Hi,

User Profile Wizard 3.8 has updates for the handling of Windows Store Apps, so the first thing to do is download the new version.

In Windows 8, a user's choice for file associations is encrypted. As a result, file association choices are not migrated. However, the user should of course be able to re-associate file extensions after the migration.
MatthGyver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MatthGyver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 6:02am
Thank's a lot for this precisions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MatthGyver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 9:18am
Hi,

I'm doing some tests with the last version and session start normaly after migration.
However, the file association problem persist :-/
I've this problem for all my windows 8 migrated computer :-/

I'm searching into registry and I see wrong ACL into key associate to the file who are problematic.
Just see :

All help are welcom.
Thank you
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 11:14am
Thank you for the information. We will take a look. Are you using the Personal Edition?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MatthGyver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 11:47am
No I'm using the last corporate edition (v3.8.1198)
I'm migrating from domain A to domain B

Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 5:13am
If you compare a clean install of Windows 8.1 which has a brand new profile created by Windows (not migrated at all) you will see that the permissions in your screenshot above are set correctly. The user account inherits full access to the “UserChoice” registry key from the parent registry key(s) but Windows adds a Deny Access Control Entry (ACE) on the ACL of the “UserChoice” registry key to deny “Set Value” access. (The scope is “This Key Only”.)  Again, we think this is a Windows 8 security measure.

In fact, User Profile Wizard does not replicate this Deny ACE when it migrates the profile, so the new user account ends up with greater access to the “UserChoice” registry key because it just inherits the full permissions.

Could you post instructions for reproducing the file association issue?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MatthGyver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 7:22am
As I haven't problem with the initial profil I haven't check the permission before the migration.
But for my last test, on a vm freshly installed and put into domain A :
- open a session with user account into domain A
- changing file association on txt file (use wordpad in place of notepad) ==> change are OK
- remote migration to domain B
- open session of migrated user
- changing file association ==> failed

I don't make anything else.
An idea ?
Thank you
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 7:29am
We cannot reproduce the problem by following these steps. After the migration, the file association for .txt files reverts to notepad (the default) but we can change this to wordpad and the new association is correctly stored by Windows.

There must be be some other factor involved to cause the problem. We will continue to investigate.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MatthGyver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 2:02am
Thank's I'm waiting.
How can I help you to check the difference between my and your win8 configuration ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic