ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Migration Fails

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acatalano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Migration Fails
    Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 10:13pm
I have installed the personal version of profwiz to migrate a laptop to a newly setup server running Server Essentials 2012 R2. I have migrated several machines "the hard way" just re-installing Chrome, password manager, Outlook email accounts etc. Really a pain. So I found Forensit and downloaded the free version and ran it. However the program failed (error 2699) with reference to unable to access DNS service. However it is running on the server OK. This machine had been joined to the WHS2011 server and still has the old connector installed. Thinking aloud, perhaps I should uninstall this first. However if I install the new connector and run it, I know that the AppData info is toast. At least it will be joined to the Domain even if its screwed up. Perhaps then running Profwiz will regain my settings. Seems sort of backwards, but just maybe..
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 4:53am
It may seem backwards, but that is the best thing to do. Please see:

http://forum.forensit.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=457

and also

http://forum.forensit.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=379

acatalano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acatalano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 9:01am
Well it worked. I did this in steps as a bit of an experiment. First I uninstalled the WHS2011 Connector and re-ran profwiz. That resulted in the same error,2699. Then I installed the 2012R2 Connector and ran profwiz again. Everything worked!!

I think I shall run it in the machines I migrated manually just to "true up" user settings. When running the connector for 2012 I was reminded that the connector software seems to promise to migrate the old user data, but of course does not.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic