ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Move Computer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Logon Failure:Unknown Username or Bad Password

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anonymouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Logon Failure:Unknown Username or Bad Password
    Posted: 09 Nov 2014 at 7:56pm
Attempting to move domain user from XP Pro to Win 7 Ultimate on SBS 2003 domain using Transwiz.

Everything works as expected until it tries to join the domain, then it fails:

"Joining to Domain "XXXXX" fails, Error 0X8007052e. Logon Failure: Unknown Username or Bad password.

Tried it 3 times, using the user credentials first time, Domain Admin credentials the second time, and the third time tried adding the new computer to the domain first & domain Admin credentials. No Joy. The data has been transferred (all 3 times), but there is no user login and has not joined the domain (can log into the new Win 7 comp using the local Admin account only). To make things worse, now the old computer (XPSP3) will no longer log onto the domain, and is unreachable from the server (tried to view the event logs from the server and receive "Access Denied").

Any help would be appreciated (hopefully before I get fired). Thank you

Edited by anonymouse - 09 Nov 2014 at 7:57pm
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 4:49am
If you are certain that the credentials you are providing are correct, you may have a name resolution problem. Try specifying the credentials in UPN format, so administrator@domain.com rather than DOMAIN\Administrator.

As a fall-back you can try and join the machine to the domain "manually" using the Windows Network Identification Wizard.
anonymouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anonymouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 2:02am
I had searched these forums for this error and see that others w/the same error (0x8007052e) have had a NetBios error - I did not have that error. It simply fails with no option but to cancel.

I was surprised to see that the old computer was removed from the domain - I reread the user guide again and saw no reference to that. Also did not foresee that the data would be transferred but no user account created. i guess you get what you pay for and this is free so....

Thank you for your response; sad to see your utility was unable to do what I needed. Not sure why it works for others but left me looking stupid. Not my server setup - I inherited it. Not sure where to go with this but can't see buying the product at this point. It had been recommended to me but....

Did I do something wrong? Please advise

Thank you
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 12:13pm
The Freeware Edition uses exactly the same code as the Professional Edition - it just has less features.

Transwiz does not remove the old machine from the domain.

The only thing that happened here is that the new domain rejected your username and password when joining the domain. That really isn't down to Transwiz.

Were you able to join the machine to the new domain through Windows? The profile will already have been migrated.

Edited by Support - 11 Nov 2014 at 12:46pm
anonymouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anonymouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 3:35pm
Thank you for the prompt reply.

No I was unable to complete my task - I aborted. FYI not a new domain, just a new workstation.

The XP (old) computer was unreachable from the domain controller after running Transwiz & rebooting. Unable to login to the domain on the XP machine with any credentials. Was able to login to the XP machine by choosing "this computer" with the domain admin creds, and found that the domain had been changed to the name of the workstation. I then added it back (joined) to the domain and remapped the user profile through the profile path in the registry to get the user back to work.

I will guess that by choosing "rename this computer" in Transwiz maybe caused the server to refuse/change it as there then were 2 computers with the same name on the network??

So I am back to square one, and will restart the process when time allows. This time I will add the computer to the domain first, not choose "rename computer" and after the transfer fails I know to create the user account and then map to the profile that Transwiz imports. Have I missed anything?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic