ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Keeping old (local) profile after joining domain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Keeping old (local) profile after joining domain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter902 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keeping old (local) profile after joining domain
    Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 9:12pm
Hello,

Please forgive my newbie question, put I was kinda thrust into this role and am looking for a way to make it work.

Our office just had an old NT server start acting up and I was given the job of getting a new SBS 2003 server from Dell and installing it. We have 10 workstations and I wanted to know if your program would allow me to join them to the new domain "xxxlaw.local" but still maintain their current profile,desktop, apps, and the biggest thing their EMAIL!! It is very inefficient I know, but a few people love there Outlook Express and a couple Thunderbird...ect and I don't want to lose contacts or email.

I guess what I am asking is can the migration to the new domain be "transparent" if you will? Everything stays and looks the same after joing the new domain.

If this software can do just that, could some one give me a quick outline as to how to do that or any pitfalls to watch out for. I know I am asking a lot, but any info would be SO helpful.

Regards
Jay
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2008 at 8:37am

Hi Jay,

User Profile Wizard is designed to do exactly what you want! It will migrate a workstation to a new domain and configure a user's existing profile so that the migration is transparent to them. Everything stays and looks the same because it is the same.

You should see no problems with email. The only thing your users may have to do is re-enter their email passwords.

To see how to migrate a profile, please see the "Migrating User Profiles with User Profile Wizard" in the User Guide.

shooter902 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter902 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2008 at 6:17pm
AWESOME! I did a test with one workstation and it worked !! You were right, all I had to do was re-enter the e-mail password like you stated and it worked. The IT guys that I talked to said that it would never work because of the SID.

One other question if I could? Will this work with Windows 98SE and joining the domain? I know that there are some other issues with Win98 and SBS 2003 but will UPW work?

Thanks for such an awesome, time saving program!! It will save my butt for sure!
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2008 at 3:45am
Hi Jay,

User Profile Wizard won't work with Windows 98SE. The good news however, is that it doesn't have to: on Windows 98SE there is only one profile and no user level security.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic