ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why is user data still in old profile?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davekolb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why is user data still in old profile?
    Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 5:30pm
I recently migrated my profile data from my old local account OldUser to my new domain account NewUser. Things went well except I had to enter just about any password over again which I was a bit surprised at. Also, I had auto updates off and after logging on my OldUser account and saw that basically it was turned back into a newly created user which was good, I restarted the machine and had to wait for lots of updates to finish, and want to suggest that if auto updates were turned off you leave them off after turning the old migrated from user back to effectively a new user account.

The main problem I found was that all the data, such as Downloads accessed via the start menu, and apparently lots of other stuff, were still were located in my old user profile folder, even though I am now logged on as the new user. Under Users\NewUser\Downloads I have nothing in that folder. That was unexpected and I really don't like Downloads for NewUser (via the start menu) to be in a folder under OldUser. Also, my OldUser folder still has 10.4G of data and the NewUser only about 54M of data. that does not sound like migration and am wondering if I did something wrong or can fix this somehow. Thx.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 3:39am
The data should be in the old profile... User Profile Wizard does not move, copy or delete any profile data. Instead it configures the profile “in place” so that it can be used by the user’s new domain account. When you logon you should be using the old user profile.

Edited by Support - 02 Sep 2015 at 3:40am
davekolb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davekolb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 7:02am
When I login as the NewUser, why would I want my profile to be in the OldUser location? When logging in as the OldUser, where does its data go? Are they mixed together?

How can I move all the data from the OldUser to the NewUser location? I was hoping to delete the OldUser profile? Thanks.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 10:05am
Not moving the files makes the process very fast and very safe. If you have the Professional or Corporate version you can rename the old profile folder to match the new account.

User Profile Wizard is designed to join the machine to the new domain and migrate the profile before you ever logon with the new account.

Given where you are at on this machine, you may just want to copy the data over manually.
davekolb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davekolb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 12:09pm
Ya I can move everything from \Users\OldUser to \Users\NewUser but then I've destroyed my NewUser desktop likely and everything in NewUser is still pointing to OldUser and it is not there anymore.

If this is not the case, or what you meant, could you please be more explicit on how to fix this?

I want everything used by NewUser to be in \Users\NewUser and not in \User\OldUser. Thx
davekolb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davekolb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 7:48am
Would you please let me know how I can fix this properly. I had no idea all my data would be left behind under the old user profile. I want to remove that old user, and my shortcuts like Downloads, Music etc. and lots of other stuff still point there even though I have new Downloads, Music etc. in the new user profile.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 12:54am
Given the circumstances, our suggestion is that you manually copy the data from the old profile to the new profile. The alternative is that you give up on the new profile and use User Profile Wizard to configure the old profile so that it is used by your new domain account - which is what the software is designed to do.
davekolb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davekolb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 7:37am
That makes no sense because from the names, you can't even tell which profile the user is using. Copying would make it worse. Now I have to go hack the ProfileList in the registry to fix the mess you created on my machine but hey you did it for free. Thanks a lot!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic