ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Elevated permissions needed after migration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elevated permissions needed after migration
    Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 11:50am
Hello,

First of all, thank you for making this program available. It simplified the migration process and saved me quite a bit of time. Everything went smoothly, for the most part.

Before the migration, I was able to write to the root of the C drive and to the program files directory. After the migration, I get an access denied message. When I right click and select new, I only get the option to add a new folder (before it would show different types of files I could add). I can only write to the directories if I run a program with elevated permissions.

I also use the OpenVPN GUI, which gets installed to Program Files by default. Before I could run the app without selecting "Run as Administrator" first, but now I must. If I don't, it can't write to the log (which is in the program files folder) and can't create the routes.

I am a domain admin, which is a member of the local administrators group.

I did one machine at a time and confirmed the behaviour listed above: before the migration I don't need elevated permissions and after I do. This only appears to affect Windows 8. My Windows 7 machines work as expected.

The user names are the same on the new and old domain. The users all belong to the same groups.

Any ideas why this behaviour changed on Windows 8 after the migration?

Possible related post: http://forum.forensit.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=702

Edited by timb - 02 Oct 2015 at 11:51am
PcChip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PcChip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 3:30pm
Does the domain you migrated to have GPO's regarding UAC, or blocking "run as administrator" ?

start -> run -> rsop.msc and see what GPO's are being applied
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic