ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

old domain account locked

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yelsew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: old domain account locked
    Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 2:51pm
Hello. We are evaluating profwiz in preparation for a large migration I have tested 1 machine. I changed from domain OLD to domain NEW, logged into computer with new domain user account and ran the profwiz. The domain change and profwiz worked and moved everything but my printer. Even email account was moved and ready. The problem is that when I am logged onto the machine using my new domain and new account NEW\johndoe my old account OLD\johndoe is locked out and I can't access any resources (file server) on old domain. I cannot unlock the account as long as I remain logged in to the new account. Once I log out or shutdown the computer I can unlock my account OLD\johndoe. Any suggestions about why this might occur and how to remedy it? These domains are completely separate and there is no Trust relationship between them.
yelsew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yelsew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 3:30pm
I thought of a couple things I should add. I just tried it again. Removed machine from domain NEW. Put it in workgroup. Changed machine name. Ran Profwiz. Everything worked fine. Logged into domain New with my user account on that domain. Checked my account on old domain and it was locked. Once I log off the NEW\johndoe computer account. I can unlock without issue. ALSO I should note that I am logged on another computer (my actual work computer) with my OLD\johndoe account. I don't see why this would matter as the two domains are related in no way.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 4:17am
The most likely explanation for the old domain account locking out is the migrated machine trying to access some resource on the old domain with (incorrect) saved credentials. This is unusual because if a machine is joined to a domain, Windows has no need to save credentials in order to access resources on that domain.
Bbenzjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bbenzjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 11:47pm
I know this is an old post, but we are experiencing the same issue. We are moving users from domain old to domain new. When we log into the computer to domain new as a migrated user, their account on domain old is locking out. We have found that if the passwords match on domain old and domain new, the user does not get locked out.

I have gone through and deleted the group policy settings in the registry that i have found that refer to the domain old and still no luck. We have just instructed the users to keep their passwords the same until we figure this out. The problem is domain old is not going away so we will need to figure this out.

Did you ever get a resolution to this issue? When I put a ticket into support they had not seen this before.
yelsew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yelsew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 7:35am
I remember the problem, but I don't remember the solution. I don't remember if there was a solution or it just fixed itself. Our migration was a Charlie foxtrot because our corporate hired some MS partner in Duabi (and I am not naming any names Emitec)who had never done a domain migration before. We did up using Foresit for a lot of the cleanup and it did work well. I know we did overcome the problem because we did access resources on the old domain for about 6 months. We also had a trust relationship between the two domains (maybe that solved it).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic