ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Move Computer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows 10 Issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcbsys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 3:10pm
I had started a new thread but was directed here. Moving my post to this thread...
------------------------------------

Hi,

I've used and appreciated TransWiz Personal through several migrations in small businesses, usually 2-4 computers.

This week I'm moving one computer from Win7 Enterprise x64 to Win10 Enterprise 1803 x64 . (Non-profit gets "Enterprise" edition donated.) The computer is domain-joined with about five profiles.

I captured the profiles from Win7 with TransWiz.

Then I put in a blank hard drive, installed Win10 from scratch, and joined the domain. I used a PowerShell script to uninstall and disable many Windows 10 Store apps (Candy Crush etc.).

While logged in as a local, non-domain admin, I used TransWiz 1.11 to import my domain user profile. It went through about 70 app updates. Upon logging as as the domain user, I was unable to open the Start Menu. I believe it was SearchUI.exe that was crashing.

Did the same thing with another domain user's profile. ShellExperienceHost.exe and SearchUI.exe crashed.

There are many other errors in the event log: DCOM 10010, AppModel Runtime 69, Kernel-General 5 re. registry hive corruption, etc.

I used the same approach a few months ago with Win10 Pro 1709 and did not have this problem. Maybe it's new with 1803?

As a workaround, I found that this works:

1. From This PC > Properties > Advanced, delete the profile.
2. Get the user to log in to Windows 10. Let it finish "Getting things ready."
3. Have the user log off.
4. Log on as an admin user and import the profile using TransWiz. Choose Merge and do NOT overwrite.
5. Have the user log in again. No more stepping through 70+ apps. Icons, photos, etc. should be there. Desktop will be wrong because Win10 created a destkop in step 2 that was not overwritten.

Unfortunately, this means that I have to be there when each user logs on. Also, one time, I didn't have Merge as an option; it just created a second profile with the domain name as the suffix.

Well that's a long post. Is there an easy fix for migrating users onto 1803 after customizing Store apps?
mcbsys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcbsys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 3:16pm
So, now that I've read through this thread, the only solution I'm seeing (other than the possible workaround I posted) is to use the third-party Tweaking.com tool to fix what TransWiz breaks?

Would love to hear ForensiT chime in here:

"This happens when..."

"You can avoid it by..."

"We're releasing a fix on..."
mcbsys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcbsys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 4:19pm
Hmm...just did another profile on the same machine, migrated directly (before user logon) and it seems fine. Maybe part of the issue/solution is that you have to be logged on as a domain admin when importing profiles for domain users?
AOHiTechnique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AOHiTechnique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 10:20am
I haven't had to use tweaking.com for a while. Every migration I've done in the last several months hasn't had an issue. Maybe make sure you have the latest download? Honestly, I'm thankful for there to be a free tool for me to use for this, especially when it works so well most of the time. Hopefully it is actually fixed permanently.

I have noticed on multiple computers with Windows Server 2016 or Windows 10, that there have been some issues with the start menu even on computers that I didn't use transwiz. On those ones, I ran C:\Windows\system32\ctfmon.exe and that fixed it at least until reboot. Then you can set that as a startup batch script. Again, it's a workaround, and not transwiz related, and maybe this wouldn't work with the transwiz problem, but I haven't had transwiz fail in a long time to test this theory.
mcbsys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcbsys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 12:29pm
@AOHiTechnique, thanks for the update. Hard to figure how ctfmon.exe would fix the Start menu but I'll keep that in mind. As for TransWiz, my current thinking is that you need to be logged on as a domain admin for the tool to properly import domain accounts. A bit of a challenge if you want to migrate the profile of the domain admin...maybe then use the workaround of having the user log in before running the TransWiz import.

I also appreciate TransWiz but this was so thoroughly messed up that I'm now nervous about whether I can rely on it.
AOHiTechnique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AOHiTechnique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 2:07pm
Hmmmm. That's a good thought. I'm pretty much always logged on as a domain admin, but I'm pretty sure it's worked when I've been logged on as a local admin too. Can't say for sure. Good luck!

Andy
grahamperrin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grahamperrin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 8:01am
Originally posted by wampastompa wampastompa wrote:

… to Windows 10, it breaks the start menu.

If I transfer FROM windows 10 to windows 10 it breaks the start menu completely. It can't be opened by clicking on it or pressing the windows key. …

I have those symptoms for a profile that was migrated:
  • from Windows 7
  • to build 1803 of Windows 10.
It seemed that the task bar was generally non-functional. I might not have tried everything across the bar, left to right, but nothing that I clicked was responsive; and the Windows key had no effect.

Two errors in the ForensiT AppX Management Service log, might either of these be a direct or indirect cause of the breakage?

Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\nsp13\Appdata\Local\TileDataLayer\Database\vedatamodel.edb'.

Tile backup failed for C:\Users\nsp13

jsaling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 2:13pm
I use this when going from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
A while back, an older version of transwiz would break the start menu.

Once an update was released, it started working just fine after restoring user data,
However, it appears to be back on newer building of Windows 10 (still going from 7 to 10).

Now I have checked, and I'm using the now current version, and it also breaks the start menu with Windows 10 v1809.
Noidenous View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noidenous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 8:07am
Originally posted by jeremyhx jeremyhx wrote:

From my past Windows 10 travels I had used 'Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Free'. I happily can report that the tool was able to fix the correct permissions so that the start menu, etc. all started working (almost immediately, no reboot needed).

Unfortunately I do not know exactly which options were responsible for actually solving the problem - I simply left all the default repair options selected. My guess is that it was '01 - Reset Registry Permissions', '02 - Reset File Permissions' and '28.01 - Repair Windows 8 / 10 App Store' that fixed it.

I tried this tool and it wouldn't run from within the broken profile, even with admin rights.

Does this method work from the local/domain admin account itself?
Yepess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yepess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 7:07am
I would like to know if there is any solution for this, since I manage to transfer the profile to another computer correctly, but the Windows 10 start menu, version 2004, does not work, it is as if it was blocked, it does not matter if I remove an application from the store or install it, this menu is not modified, except for what it has recently added. The truth that everything that is anchored to the start menu, looks good and that can be touched, it is not blocked. The rest of the menu yes.
For everything else in the profile no problem.

I tried the program they mentioned, but without results.

Edited by Yepess - 03 Jun 2020 at 7:09am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic