ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Desktop Management
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

defprof -- an app default was reset

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flansder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: defprof -- an app default was reset
    Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 3:07pm
I am using defprof to copy the user profile in windows 10. It seems like everything is good except after a few minutes of a new user logging in, it starts popping up messages that say an app default was reset. It goes through and resets everything I set for app defaults. Ex. adobe pdf is reset to Microsoft edge and so on. Does anyone have any ideas?
theflash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theflash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 12:50pm
The same thing happens with me, but I have only noticed it with the new version 1.10. The previous version only seemed to have any issue with migrating the start menu. Now the 1.10 version migrates the start menu but throws a half dozen or so notices with each new user about app defaults being reset. I'm glad I hung onto the old version for now.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 6:00am
The new version of DefProf takes advantage of the fact that Windows 10 can initialize Windows Store/Metro/Universal apps when they are needed. This speeds up the logon considerably because the apps do not need to be updated before the user gets to the desktop. A consequence of this, however, is that when an app gets initialized (like, say, the Photos app) it does indeed reset the default app for .jpg files, or whatever.

There is a genuine design choice to be made here. You can put up with a few messages saying the app default was reset, or you can wait for the apps to be initialized before you ever see the desktop. We will be guided by the feedback we receive.
theflash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theflash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 10:13am
Being in K-12, anything that pops up is a distraction for the kids. Even though there is nothing technically wrong with the machine, pop-ups like that would lead to students pulling teachers away to inform them that "something is wrong with my computer." Right now I've started removing the provisioned apps through powershell that are causing most of the messages (photos, groove, etc.) and setting the defaults to other apps like Media Player and irfanview but nothing I do seems to prevent the message for Microsoft Edge and htm/html file types. I'm not sure if defprof can be tweaked to 'fix' the issue (even if through a command-line switch so people can have it both ways) but it would make it absolutely perfect for our needs.
flansder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flansder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 11:41am
Thanks for the replies. I agree with theflash, I don't like the messages that pop up for every user. It would make it perfect if those didn't appear. I do understand that Microsoft is getting tighter on security so when anything tries to mess with a default app it resets to default. A question for support, I am assuming with either direction the apps setup to be default in the admin profile will revert to Microsoft's defaults no matter which way you make it work, initialized before or after, is that correct?
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 1:52pm
Yes, we think that is the case.
akguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 12:20pm
I too am noticing this problem.

Has anybody found a solution for this that prevents the dialog "an app default was reset" which too closely resembles an actual error?

Someone mentioned that this didn't happen in previous version of defprof but I cannot find previous versions for download anywhere.  I wouldn't mind waiting a couple of minutes for Windows to initialize the apps before showing me a start screen if it would eliminate these messages.
flansder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flansder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 9:23am
I haven't found any solutions yet. It is a function of windows 10 and not defprof. Windows 10 has new security features built in so if something in the profile doesn't look just right it will reset everything to default. They want to force everyone to use their imaging tools.
redrice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2016 at 11:21am
From what I can tell, this issue was resolved in an update. When defprof is used on a computer with no updates I see this issue, but when a computer is fully updated I do not see this problem.
sdtnc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sdtnc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 7:44pm
I'm getting this problem again after updating my image with the Anniversary update. Any ideas?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic