ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Desktop Management
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Defprof 1.11 on Windows 2012 R2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Defprof 1.11 on Windows 2012 R2
    Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 2:25pm
I'm unable to get DefProf to work properly on Windows 2012 R2.

Steps taken:
- Customize Administrator profile as required
- Create "copy" user with admin privileges
- Login as copy user and use "defprof c:\users\Administrator"

I have tried multiple combinations of command line parameters and one of three things happens:

- If I use the standard syntax "defprof path" and choose NOT to install the service, then when a new user logs in they get a crash on upwpm2 during the store app configuration.

- If I use the standard syntax "defprox path" and choose to install the service, then when a new user logs in the store app configuration runs properly (no crash), but multiple tiles in the start menu are empty and the file location is still pointing to the c:\users\administrator location (hence that is why they are empty, user has no permissions to access this location).

- If I use the syntax "defprof path /noappx" (not prompted for the services), then when a new user logs in no store configuration runs AND the icons are still empty as mentioned above.

I must admit I'm not too versed in how the store apps work relative to a new profile and what exactly needs to be run for each user. I believe what I want to do is use the /noappx parameter to skip the store apps (though I don't know what negative this might have).

Ideally, I don't want to have an extra service running on the system either. Regardless though, I can't get this to work properly in any scenario.

Advice?

Edited by BenH - 19 Apr 2016 at 12:20pm
BenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 3:57pm
Clarification on what I mean by "blank icons"

The icons aren't actually blank, they are an icon of a white page with the upper left corner bent.

Again, I'm sure these show this way because the path on these continues to point to the c:\users\Administrator profile for these objects, which another user won't have access to.

On further testing, it appears now that whatever method I try I am always getting these icon issues. I even tried to customize a new profile (non built-in Administrator user) and copy this one...but the same issues occur.

I backed up my original Default Profile, and when I copy it back to c:\users\Default, everything works fine again...so I'm not sure what is going on.

Edited by BenH - 13 Apr 2016 at 3:59pm
filovitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote filovitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 7:57am
Hi,

I have the exact same problem. I confirm it is because the paths of the programs are the paths for the Administrator user.

Strangely, if I logoff/login the new user, the paths are corrected.

Is anyone have a solution?

PS: I use the last version of Defprof (1.11)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic