ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

profiles store on this computer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: profiles store on this computer
    Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 10:28am
First, I just want to say this product works great.  I've been try all sorts of methods to do a profile migration and this is the easiest / best results method I've come across.

Now to the issue.  After migrating a profile, if I go into System Properties -> Advanced -> User Profiles, I see

unknown account
PCname\administrator
Domain\migrated account

The unknown account seems to be a phantom of the Domain\migrated account.   Is there a way to clean up this list?  If I select the unknown account and click delete I believe it will remove the profile.  ( in previous migration methods, this is what happened ).

Thanks,
Jeff
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 11:59am
Hi Jeff,

The answer is not to share the profile - do not tick the "Share Profile" check box on the "Select a User Profile" page. User Profile Wizard will then remove the old user account entry from the profile list for you.
jlebo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 12:33pm
I should have mentioned I"m using the 3.0.1109 beta version, and don't see that option on the select a user profile page.   I tried the 2.5 and it shows the option there.   Do you recommend staying with the 2.5 version?  I'm using this on XP w/sp2.

Thanks,
Jeff
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 2:11pm
Jeff,

Are you sure it is the same profile? By default Version 3.0 does not share profiles. If you want to share a profile you need to edit the profwiz.config file and set:

<ShareProfile>True</ShareProfile>

The Windows "User Profile" dialog box doesn't give you a lot of information, but if you run User profile Wizard again do you see two profiles on the "Select a User Profile" page with the same path?

jlebo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 3:04pm
Now, I log into the machine as a domain admin ( not the user whose profile I"m migrating ), and I run the User Profile Wizard, I see 2 profiles with the same path.  One of them is the domain\user the other is a SID -- but both point to the same user folder.

I have verified the profwiz.config file and it shows: 

<ShareProfile>FALSE</ShareProfile> 

-Jeff
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2008 at 6:45am
That shouldn't happen Ermm 

We're not able to reproduce the problem. Are you seeing this consistently?
jlebo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2008 at 12:46pm

Sorry for the delayed response.  I was out sick yesterday, so I'm trying to get caught up here.

At the risk of giving you bad information, I want start completely over on my testing.  ( since I've been doing mulitiple tests on the same machine ).

1.  I will reimage the PC ( XP w/sp2 ).

2.  Login as local admin, join PC to the original domain A ( windows NT4.0 domain ), then reboot.

3.  Login as domain A administrator and make test user A a member of local admin group and logoff.

4.  Login as domain A test user and make changes to the profile ( customize it, etc... ) and then shutdown.

5.  Move the PC to the new network ( which is physically isolate from the first ) and power up.  This network is running a Windows 2003 AD domain.

6.  Login as the local admin, change the domain to the new domain B and reboot

7.  Login as a domain B admin and then run the User Profile Wizard choosing the Domain A test user account to be migrated to domain B.

8.  Login as domain B test user, verify all the profile settings are correct. 

9.  Then I will go to User Profile -> settings and look at the list of profiles stored on this computer to see if a phantom profile shows up there.

I"ll use the 3.0 beta unless you think I should use the 2.5 version.

Thanks,

Jeff 

Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2008 at 2:12pm
Sounds good. At the end of all that there should be just domain B test user listed in the profile list.
jlebo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 2:28pm
I have completed the test, and still get the same results.  Also, In User Profiles, if I delete the unknown profile it will remove the migrated user's profile from the hard drive.  If I then delete the real users profile, Windows gives an error message, but then the list refreshes with that profile removed.

It almost seems like the profwiz doesn't read the options correctly from the config file.   

I have also re-run the same test and used version 2.5 and it works fine.   No phantoms and everything else seems to be ok.

Regards,
Jeff
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 6:33am
Jeff,

Thanks for posting your findings. We will take another look.

One question: what build of version 3.0 are you running? (This is on the "welcome" page.)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic