ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Domain Join problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voodoodrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Domain Join problem
    Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 4:45pm
Have a machine that had upgraded from Win 8.1 home to 10 home. I just upgraded to 10 pro. I want to join it to the domain and migrate the profile to the user's domain profile. The problem is that the tool says I have Windows 10 home so it won't allow me to join the domain because it says I have the home version. Is there a registry key it is looking at?

I can manually join this machine to the domain, but I want to use the profile migration.

(I just did this same scenario on another machine and it worked perfectly.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 2:12am
Are you using a digital license on this machine?
DRiveraJETTBT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DRiveraJETTBT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 2:58pm
I am receiving a similar message. I've recently upgraded from WIndows 10 home to Windows 10 professional. I am running Prof WIz to migrate a profile over to the domain I am registering to. The program states that it is windows 10 home although the computer sees it as Win 10 pro in the system screen.
DRiveraJETTBT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DRiveraJETTBT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 2:59pm
As a follow up the upgrade was purchased using the microsoft store.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 1:39am
There does seem to be a problem with User Profile Wizard not recognizing when a Home machine has been upgraded. We are keen to resolve this. If you are willing to help, please contact support@ForensiT.com

The workaround is to join the machine to the domain manually and then migrate the profile.
aaron.hymas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaron.hymas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 3:24pm
We have three machines that are having this problem. When we manually joined the domain we couldn't login with any domain accounts, not even the domain admin account.

Any ideas?
Aaron R. Hymas
IT Consultant
Executech
gregoryh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregoryh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 12:56pm
Same problem here -- if a computer is not recognized as Pro version after upgrade, then the domain user CANNOT log into the domain. NO domain user, even an admin, can log into the domain from that computer. Even after removing the computer from the domain and adding it back.
aaron.hymas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaron.hymas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 8:02am
Does anybody have a resolution for this besides doing a clean reinstall of Windows 10 Pro?
Aaron R. Hymas
IT Consultant
Executech
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 10:09am
We have no information on this. Our best guess is that if you purchase a digital license it is licensed to the Microsoft account that purchased the license, not to the machine. (Were you signed in with a Microsoft account, or did you just use it to purchase the license?)

Our understanding is that User Profile Wizard won't even join a machine that is licensed in this way to a domain because it sees the machine as still having the Home OS. So what are you doing? Are you joining the machine to the domain manually? Can you sign-in as a domain user at that point? Then you migrate the profile (of the user the digital license is assigned to, may be?) and everything stops working - is that correct?

If that is the case, it would make sense because the digital license is almost certainly encrypted and User Profile Wizard cannot migrate encrypted data, so the license will be invalidated. This is however, guess work.

What is the actual error when you try and sign-in as a domain user? What is recorded in the Application Event log?
gregoryh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregoryh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 11:41am
I logged into a Microsoft account only through the store to purchase the upgrade to Win 10 Pro. I kept the computer login as a local account.

The computer reboots, it shows Win 10 Pro. I try to run the Profile Wizard and it says this is a Home OS, can't join a domain. I manually join the domain, reboot, then run the Profile Wizard again, successfully migrate the user profile to a domain account (Join Domain is partially checked in ProfWiz). This completes successfully. Reboot the computer, and cannot log in as any domain user. Removing the computer from the domain and rejoining the domain does not fix the problem: the computer and the server show permission denied errors.

I have tried removing the computer from the Active Directory and rejoining but it still results in permission denied errors. Not sure how to log onto the domain with this.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic