ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Desktop Management
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DefProf 1.11 and Windows 10 2016 LTSB

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DefProf 1.11 and Windows 10 2016 LTSB
    Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 5:08pm
Hello!

First, thank you for making this great tool! I stumbled upon this after searching for a solution to Windows 7's loss of the "Copy To" feature. Today, I just tried DefPro 1.11 on Win10 2016 LTSB and found a few settings didn't carry over from the Default User to the new one:

In the Modern "Settings" App…
System > Default Apps > Photo Viewer
Devices > AutoPlay
Start > Show Recently Added Apps
Privacy > Background Apps

From Start (button) > Search (app) > My Device History

Classic "Control Panel" App…
File Explorer Options > View (tab) > Show Libraries
Mouse > Pointers (tab) > Scheme
Security & Maintenance > Change Security & Maintenance Settings > "Security Messages," and also "Maintenance Messages"
System > Advanced (tab) > Performance > Visual Effects (tab)
System > Advanced (tab) > Remote > Remote Assistance
Troubleshooting > Change Settings

I did do a quick search on this forum, but didn't see anything similar. So, should I assume the above settings are not stored in the Default User's profile? Or, should I be using a different product?

Thanks in advance for your help!
redrice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 9:04am
Default apps stick with my default profile. I changed the web browser from Edge to IE and I changed .pdf files to be read by Adobe Reader. I believe all other settings in the Modern "Settings" App will save as well.

As far as control Panel settings go, I have not tested them myself.

Since the Default app change didn't stick for you, I imagine you might have missed a step in the process of using defprof and/or testing it. It happens to the best of us.

Edited by redrice - 16 Sep 2016 at 9:05am
vmsk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 9:00pm
Thanks for your reply redrice. I did discover a missing step; once your desired profile has been fully configured, you must perform a reboot before running DefProf as the Administrator. That brought over most of the items I listed except for:

AutoPlay
Mouse Pointer
Security & Maintenance Settings

Those don't appear to be stored within the standard user profile structure. I found alternate workarounds for AutoPlay and the Mouse Pointer. But the last one escapes me. Any other suggestions are appreciated.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic