ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Desktop Management
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Uninstalling User Profile Manager on Windows 10
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Uninstalling User Profile Manager on Windows 10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Uninstalling User Profile Manager on Windows 10
    Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 6:19pm
Hello,

I installed User Profile Manager fairly recently when I had a need to copy a user. All users are local.

A few days ago, the "User Profile Manager evaluation expired" message popped up when starting the computer, followed by several errors (mainly bluetooth drivers and Logitech software). Most disturbingly, clicking on the Windows start button or trying to use search now do nothing.

While I have seen this post, I am not sure if the advice still holds : http://forum.forensit.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=60

Is it safe for me to uninstall UPM? If so, are there any additional precautions that need to be taken?

Thanks,

rwill
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 4:09am
The post you refer to dates from 2007!

If all you have done is copy a profile, there should be no problem uninstalling the software.
rwill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 7:17pm
Yes, I knew it was quite old! Sorry, it's the only similar result I could find.

I would love to uninstall it, but I can't access add / remove programs from any profile in normal or safe mode. In normal mode, I can't access windows explorer or any taskbar buttons, and win+x is doing nothing for me. I can access the control panel in safe mode, but the add / remove programs tells me a service isn't loaded. I am getting permission denied for quite a lot of Windows functions, actually, and opening some software. I was going to restore from a backup, but Acronis fails with a permission error as well.

Is there a way to uninstall UPM from the command line? I am hoping that I can try that, as anything involving the usual methods fails in normal or safe.

Thanks for getting back to me!
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 4:36am
Run the setup file again and choose "Remove"
phisada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 5:22pm
After uninstalling user profile manager via programs and features uninstall, I can no longer log in to my windows 10 pro laptop.  I get the "user profile service failed the sign-in" error and no way around it.  Any suggestions?
Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic