ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any experience using Tivoli (Big Fix) to push?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wleddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any experience using Tivoli (Big Fix) to push?
    Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 12:55pm
Anyone have any experience using Tivoli (Big Fix) to push migrations? I'm thinking we would push the "single" file, but would using profbat.exe be better? Is there a way for the log for each workstation to include the workstation name in its log filename without using profbat?

TIA

Bill
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 10:36am
You should be using a single deployment file. (Profbat does a completely different job: it is used for automating the migration of remote machines.)

If you are using Tivoli, the migration process is likely going to run in the security context of the SYSTEM account, so make sure that <LocalAdmin> and <LocalPwd> are blank in Profwiz.config. (<All> should be True)

To include the workstation name in its log filename you will need to modify the migration script and pass the path and filename in the /LOG parameter.
wleddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wleddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 10:57am
Thanx for the clarification on Profbat, makes much more sense now.

If I deploy through Group Policy I'll still be running in the context of SYSTEM, won't I? Since we use LAPS (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/mt227395.aspx) that'll make saving a local admin password tricky, I was hoping to use a domain account with local admin privileges. Maybe create a local account with admin privileges I can reference in the script just before I more a block of workstations, then remove the account after they're in the new domain?

If I have to edit the migration script, that will remove the "single file" as an option, won't it? Or do I make one pass to create the script, edit it offline, then open for editing with the deployment wizard and save *that* version in single file?
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 3:56am
I said that if you are running in the context of the SYSTEM account you should not specify any local admin, so I don't see that you have a problem.

The single deployment file can be updated by dragging and dropping any updated files on top of it. See page 59 of the User Guide.
wleddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wleddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 10:33am
Apologies, I read your response too quickly.

Thanx for the clarification. I'll re-read that section of the User Guide, it should make more sense now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic