ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Move Computer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Issues with Modern Apps after Transfer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
whooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Issues with Modern Apps after Transfer
    Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 11:45am
Importing the registry keys fixed our test machine. Thank you for digging into this issue and finding a fix.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 2:44am
In our testing, the problem with Sticky Notes was caused by the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PenWorkspace registry key being missing in the transferred profile. (This key is not present on previous versions of Windows, and Transwiz does not currently create it.)

To fix this, you can export the key from another profile, and then import it into the problem profile as the user. (You can also download the file here. You will need to rename it .reg.) You must sign out and sign-in again for the registry key to take effect.

Note that this will only work if the App is correctly installed. (Although we did not have to do anything other than create the registry key.)
kraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Support Support wrote:

An update on this... We are now able to reproduce the problem. (Many thanks to the customer who donated their transfer file.) We will do our best to find out what's going on.

Excellent!  I will be eagerly awaiting your solution. 
If there is anything I can provide to assist, please do not hesitate to ask!

-K
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 5:15am
An update on this... We are now able to reproduce the problem. (Many thanks to the customer who donated their transfer file.) We will do our best to find out what's going on.
kraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Support Support wrote:

If the Sticky Notes app is being installed cleanly, check the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational event log (System Tools/Event Viewer/Applications and Services Logs/Microsoft/Windows/Apps/Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log) in the Computer Management Console. Look for errors related to the Sticky Notes app.

I get the following event in this log after starting the app:

Event 5950: Apps
The app Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App was activated for the Windows.Launch contract successfully.

But that's it.  There are previous events/errors in the log from a few days prior which I believe were from when I attempted the reinstall, but can't confirm the conditions that fired them:

Event 1621, Apps

Activation of app Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App attempted. Execution state: Attempted activation of the app, 0, The operation completed successfully..

Event 5990, Apps
Activation via contract helper of the app Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App for the Windows.Launch contract failed with Server execution failed.

Event 5961, Apps
Activation of the app Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App for the Windows.Launch contract failed with error: The app didn't start..

Event 5985, Apps
ActivateApplicationForContractByAppIdAsUserWithHost of the app Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App for the Windows.Launch contract failed with The app didn't start..

These are all within a few seconds of each other.  How this helps nail down the issue!  It's a big complaint from my users following our migration to Windows 10.

Thanks for any help you can provide,
-KK
kraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 11:12am
Thanks for the reply.  I've checked and that permission already exists for my machine so no dice.  Censored

By the way, I have done Procman traces on a working and non-working machine but I can't seem to find the discrepancy between them.  If there's someone that's better and comparing traces I'd be happy to make them available to you!

-Kevin

Edited by kraft - 10 Feb 2017 at 11:14am
Brandon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 12:10pm
had a similar problem yesterday after transfering a profile from windows 8 to 10, all modern apps including the start menu weren't working but thanks to procmon I've noticed that windows couldn't access HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ActivableClasses so I've fixed it by adding the read permission for "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES" on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
kraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 3:10pm
I also tried the posted solution without success.  I grabbed some screens to show what is happening:

http://imgur.com/a/0bSIN

The reinstall seems to complete successfully, but Sticky Notes still do not open on my Windows 10 box after using TransWiz to move the profile.

Thank you for your help!

-K
whooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 10:29am
The only event for StickyNotes for that user says:

Quote The app Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App was activated for the Windows.Launch contract successfully.

There is are other entries for other apps like that. The only other entry is:

Quote The description for Event ID 105 from source Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

The message id for the desired message could not be found

This second event I am receiving for the users that is working, however.

I would be happy to supply the trans.zip file if that would help troubleshooting the issue. I created a fresh test user to verify the issue on another domain.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 6:29am
If the Sticky Notes app is being installed cleanly, check the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational event log (System Tools/Event Viewer/Applications and Services Logs/Microsoft/Windows/Apps/Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log) in the Computer Management Console. Look for errors related to the Sticky Notes app.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic