ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Move Computer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Issues with Modern Apps after Transfer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Issues with Modern Apps after Transfer
    Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 11:41am
We are using Transwiz 1.10.1075 to transfer profiles from Windows 7 machines to Windows 10 (Anniversary upgrade) machines. Consistently after the transfer the Sticky Notes Modern app will not run. It just displays a white box that goes away after a while. My understanding is that this Sticky Notes app was created as part of the Anniversary upgrade.

On the same machine any new profiles (not migrated) work, so it seems to be something that Transwiz is missing or adding to the profile causing the problem. I can reproduce the issue on multiple machines on two different AD domains.

As a test, I created a new AD user, logged into the Win7 machine (for the first time), created a sticky note, then transferred the profile. I can provide this ~2mb transfer file if it is needed for testing.

I tested all the "fixes" I could find as far as removing and re-registering the Apps and all of them boil down to "recreate the profile", which is what I'm trying to avoid.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
tdickert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdickert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 4:22pm
That seems to be a theme with Transwiz. We have experienced issues with store apps, even the built-in ones, after having transferred a profile from an earlier or even the same version of Windows. Sorry, but there don't seem to be any fixes or workarounds. At least not that I am aware of. It would be nice if Transwiz could just ignore store apps and let the users just redownload any that they may have got from the Store. Anything as long as it doesn't break them!
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 11:25am
We believe that there can be a problem with Windows Store Apps if the version of the Apps on the target machine does not match the version on the source machine; for example, if you transfer a profile to a newly imaged machine that has not been fully updated, from a machine that is fully up to date. We are working on an update for this.

If you experience this problem, and you have the Professional Edition, you can merge the transferred profile with a new “clean”/default profile on the target machine.
whooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 8:46am
The source machine is a Windows 7 machine, so it should not have any settings for the App store.

Unfortunately we do not have the Professional Edition.
whooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 8:57am
I tried an evaluation copy of TransWiz Professional. I removed the profile, logged in as the user, logged out and used the same transfer file to merge the profile. After doing these steps, the Sticky Notes app does work.

I guess that points to something not getting created correctly when creating the profile from scratch using TransWiz.
kraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 11:34am
I am also experiencing this issue with all of our 70+ users that were migrated from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

I'm trying to pinpoint what settings are causing the problem with the profile but have so far not had any luck. I can confirm the problem is isolated to the profile as a fresh profile will launch Sticky Notes without an error.

If there is any solution for this other than a profile merge (something I can go back to my users and execute to get their Sticky Notes to work) please let me know!

Thank you.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 10:49am
We are investigating why there should be some problem with Sticky Notes. In the meantime you can try the following.

1. On the machine, sign-in with an account where Sticky Notes is working. Run Powershell and enter the following command

Get-AppxPackage -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes

Make a note of the "InstallLocation" it will be something like "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_1.0.136.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe", but will depend on the version number.

2. Sign-in as the user and run Powershell. Enter the following command using the InstallLocation path from step 1 (make sure you add "\AppXManifest.xml" to the path):

Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_1.0.136.0_neutral_split.scale-100_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppXManifest.xml"

Edited by Support - 15 Jan 2017 at 10:52am
whooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 9:08am
I think I tried this from searching the web for a solution, but I tried again just in case. For the record, this is the command I used:

Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_1.3.0.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppXManifest.xml"

No change in behavior, Sticky notes still doesn't work.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 10:44am
So do you get an error when you run this command?
whooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 11:17am
No, it brings up a brief progress bar and returns to the the PowerShell prompt. I also rebooted after and it did not work after the reboot either.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic