ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Desktop Management
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moving back to local profile

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zmiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moving back to local profile
    Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 10:22am
Hello,

I have a laptop running XP Pro that used to be connected to a domain. This domain was deleted few months ago, and till yesterday I manged to login with the domain user credentials through the domain profile cached on the laptop. However, yesterday the cached profile expired (or so it seems). Can I use any of your tools to un-migrate the domain profile (through its copy on my laptop) to a local user profile, maintaining all the settings and configuration of the domain user profile?

Thanks,

Haim
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 11:44am
Hi Haim,

Yes, you certainly can. You just need to choose the local computer name from the "Enter the Domain" drop-down list on the "User Account Information" page, and enter the local account name.
zmiah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zmiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 11:58am
What tool are you referring to?
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 11:59am
zmiah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zmiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 2:24pm

This worked, thanks. Now the new local user account is sharing the profile originally serving as a domain local profile cache. If I now access the wizard again and unclick "share", will this disconnect the original domain user account from the profile, leaving only the new local user referring to it?

Also, could you please point to some information on how user profile data is stored and managed in the registry?

Thanks,

Haim

Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2008 at 3:46am
Hi Haim,

Once you have shared the profile, there isn't a way to "unshare" it with User Profile Wizard.

Profile information for each user is stored in the registry by user SID under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList key. One way to stop "sharing" the profile would be to delete the subkey for the old domain user SID. However, given that the old domain has been deleted, having the entry there isn't going to cause any problems.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic