ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Account Name Lookup File Needed In This Scenario?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Account Name Lookup File Needed In This Scenario?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Account Name Lookup File Needed In This Scenario?
    Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 3:55pm
I have numerous users who originally had Active Directory domain account usernames based on their initials. For example, the username for James Smith was "js".

Since then, those users have had their Active Directory domain account usernames changed to be first initial of first name, full last name. For example, James Smith's account username changed from "js" to "jsmith" (what I call "flast" format.)

The user profile folders on such users' workstations were originally created using the "initials" format of the username (for example, C:\Users\js). The names of these user profile folders on the workstations remained the same after the account names were changed, of course.

My question is, when running the User Profile Wizard in automated mode, do I need to create and use an account lookup file to map the "initials" username format to the "flast" format? Or does the software match the profile folders on the workstation to the Active Directory account names using some other mechanism, such as a common SID between the profile folder and the user account?

Note that the actual user account names in the source domain are all now in the "flast" format, and that the usernames will not be being changed as part of the migration to the new domain. Also, I am not interested in renaming the profile folders on the workstations to match the usernames, due to the potential of there being hard-coded path reference entries in the profiles.

Thanks for any insight that could be provided!
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 4:38am
User Profile Wizard uses the user SID to resolve the old user account name, so the profile folder name is normally irrelevant.

The only caveat to this is if the old domain controller has crashed, or is not available; then the software will look at the folder name, but only as a last resort.

Craig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 7:32am
That's terrific, and what I thought, but wanted to confirm; thank you very much! Multiple domain controllers from the source domain are still up and running, so hopefully I should be in the clear.

Initial testing with the product has gone very well, but the actual migration of the production network will occur this coming weekend; wish us luck, and thanks for making a great tool!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic