ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Desktop Management
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Win10 search not working after using DEFPROF

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rab414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Win10 search not working after using DEFPROF
    Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 11:29am
Hi,
I have used DEFPROF in my image build to copy my Setup profile over to default users. This all went OK, installed the AppX Management Service etc. I’ve then captured the image, and when I deploy it all works fine. So what’s the problem…
This is a base image on which other technicians install software for creating other builds. The problem is that when they run DEFPROF to copy the Setup profile over and then login as another user, (either on the domain or off it) the search function does not work.

I’ve tried restarting services, reinstalling the AppX Management Service, re-running the indexing service, PowerShell command to re-provision the built in apps, but all to no avail. The search will sometimes find the odd file, but not others. For instance typing Word will find Wordpad but not MS Word.

Everything works fine for the first BASE image build, but it seems running DEFPROF a second time breaks the search.
Has anyone else had this issue or any suggestions as to how I could fix it?

Thanks for any help.
Rab

pofcorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pofcorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 12:11pm
Same problem, but I've found workaround, you need to make the original profile readable. Something like this works for me :
icacls c:\users\originalprofile /grant Everyone:(OI)(CI)RX /T

The problem with that though, is that new programs installed after the fact will not show up in search. The search in Classic Start works fine though.
pofcorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pofcorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 1:39pm
I think I found something, if you run:

del /F /Q C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCacheLock.dat
del /F /Q C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\*.*
del /F /Q C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\*.*

in addition to :

Then searching in new profiles works, and new apps show up as well.
daedelous2377 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daedelous2377 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 10:54am
Originally posted by pofcorn pofcorn wrote:

I think I found something, if you run:

del /F /Q C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCacheLock.dat
del /F /Q C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\*.*
del /F /Q C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\*.*

in addition to :

Then searching in new profiles works, and new apps show up as well.

I have tried all of the above and have found that a new profile that gets created still encouters the same search issue. Are there any additional commands, files or registry settings which can be modified which would restore the search functionality. The search functionality works correctly on the profile being used for customizing the default profile.
kwahl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwahl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 8:41am
I know this topic is almost 2 years old now but I have been running into this issue of the search bar not working regularly when updating the master image or copying the master image to make another master image. Nothing I have found in the forums works for me consistently.
When doing a reload of appx-packages does not fix the issue the process below, so far, has been the resolution.
1.Delete the reference or template user folder, cleanly, from system properties > user profiles.
2.Delete the forensit folder from c:\users\default\appdata\local
3.Login as template user, search should be working at this point. You may need to log off and back in for the start menu to work correctly.
4.Log off and back in as a local administrator.
5.defprof.exe TEMPLATEUSER /noappx

From there you can just use the default profile or copy the default profile to a mandatory profile and perform any necessary actions you would normally perform before sealing the image back up.

Edited by kwahl - 24 May 2019 at 8:48am
jrking78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrking78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 12:46pm
It appears the default profile passes onto the new profile 2 registry values that point to the template profile. That is why the usr above has to grant access back to the template profile. Problem is if that profile gets removed search will stop working. Here are the 2 keys that are present on the new profile that point to the template profile:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SettingsConstraintIndex

CurrentConstraintIndexCabPath=C:\Users\TEMPLATEPROFILE\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\ConstraintIndex\Input_{9c24a354-6797-42ae-8984-e852a717e85f}

LatestConstraintIndexFolder=C:\Users\TEMPLATEPROFILE\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\ConstraintIndex\Settings_{263d81d5-7973-4431-b874-431baf0e07cd}

I setup a group policy that updates both registry string using the %username% variable.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic