ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Move Computer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Migrating Windows XP Profiles to Windows 10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tymbrwlf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Migrating Windows XP Profiles to Windows 10
    Posted: 18 May 2017 at 7:28pm
I was recently migrating two Windows XP based profiles to a new PC with Windows 10 Pro (a process I've performed many times with no issues) using the Profile Transfer Wizard. The profile saving process went as it always does (flawlessly) and when I restored the profile to the new PC, it also appeared to work as it always has.

After a reboot, when I try to log into the newly restored profile, it looks like it's logging in (it shows the username and says Welcome with the progress circle) but after a moment goes back to the Choose a user dialog and never logs in. When I look under the C:\Users\ path, I see the profile has been created and everything is there but I cannot log into the user's account itself.

I deleted the existing profile and retried the restore with the same result.

I've done this EXACT procedure many, many times so I'm quite baffled. Could this have something to do with going from XP to Win10? ACL's? Folder Structure? Any suggestions?
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 2:28am
If the profile cannot be loaded, Windows should record the reason in the Application Event log on the machine. You should check the log to see if there is anything there.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic