ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Migration Done...But Outlook Stored Passwords Lost
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Migration Done...But Outlook Stored Passwords Lost

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mu3taz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Migration Done...But Outlook Stored Passwords Lost
    Posted: 02 Dec 2008 at 10:53am
Hi All

I have used the free edition of profile wizard...and i think it is really great....so far...

but i faced a tiny problem....after migration...the passwords stored for POP e-mail accounts in Outlook were lost and i had to re-enter them again.
Can we avoid such a situation in the future ??

Thank YouEmbarrassed

Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2008 at 11:20am

Hi,

When Windows stores these passwords in the registry, it encrypts them using the user's credentials. When you logon with different credentials (a different username and password) Windows cannot decrypt the passwords and prompts you to enter them again.

Unfortunately there is no easy way around this. User Profile Wizard would have to prompt you for the user's existing password at the time of the migration. This would be possible when running interactively, but wouldn't make sense when automating workstation migrations.

But let us know, what do you think? Smile

melchiz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melchiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2008 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Support Support wrote:

Hi,

When Windows stores these passwords in the registry, it encrypts them using the user's credentials. When you logon with different credentials (a different username and password) Windows cannot decrypt the passwords and prompts you to enter them again.

Unfortunately there is no easy way around this. User Profile Wizard would have to prompt you for the user's existing password at the time of the migration. This would be possible when running interactively, but wouldn't make sense when automating workstation migrations.

But let us know, what do you think? Smile

I think it would be great to have a feature for migrating passwords, perhaps in the end-user oriented wizard. I know that for large-scale deployment, it's not practical, but for small businesses it would be quite convenient.

Perhaps add it as a feature to the professional/paid version for business users (since they are more reliant on programs that use Windows authentication, such as Outlook).
melchiz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melchiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2008 at 12:08pm
(Re:above)

Oh, and by migrating passwords, I mean being prompted to enter the existing user password for applications such as Outlook, when the migration wizard runs with the setting to do so toggled on.
mu3taz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mu3taz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2008 at 8:04am
i c....Smile

Thank You...
mutu26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mutu26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 6:24am
Some days ago I opened my emails client and couldn't show new emails. As has turned out my password was broken. I began seeking a tool for solving this problem and by accident stumbled across an one software, which helped me quite rapidly and above it perhaps can help in like situation as well - outlook password recovery.
romanknoff34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote romanknoff34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 3:31am
Are you want to recover Outlook PST Password recovery so, just download Outlook PST Password recovery software you can download this software from here : http://www.datavare.com/software/outlook-passowrd-recovery-expert.html
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic