ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Move Computer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Invalid Profile Transfer File

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copperbender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Invalid Profile Transfer File
    Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 3:13pm
I am attempting to transfer the profile an old laptop to a new one. I used the Transfer Wizard. The profile was rather large and took awhile to pack. However the pack did not complete. The pack target was a shared folder on the network server. It ended with an error that the network patch was invalid. I then ran the Transfer Wizard on the new laptop. It recognized the network path and displayed the file to be selected. However, it gives me the error message "The file does not appear to be a valid profile transfer file."
The major problem is that the profile on the old laptop is not EMPTY!
Logging in using the profile results in a plain basic screen! HELP!!! What can I do to restore the data if the Wizard will not recognize the file? This is extremely URGENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 4:22am
If the transfer file did not complete without errors, you need to run Transwiz again and try to create the transfer file again.
copperbender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copperbender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 2:38pm
I tried that. There are no longer any contents in the user profile. The Wizard MOVED rather than COPYING the files.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 4:57am
It really didn't. It is impossible for Transwiz to delete profiles.

Given the original error (the "network path was invalid") it sounds like the profile was deleted before the backup was completed. However, it could not have been Transwiz that deleted it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic