ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Desktop Management
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows 10 1703 Updates Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbbullock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows 10 1703 Updates Issue
    Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 12:34pm
I've found that two updates (KB4048954 and KB4053580) both cause odd behavior in user accounts that are assigned a default profile.

Users can log in, but Windows Explorer will not work including the Start Menu. Uninstalling these updates will solve the problem, though. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any other way to remediate the problem. This means, though, that I will not be able to update Windows as long as I have this setup. Is anyone else seeing this issue?

I am running UPM 2.7 (latest) assigning a default profile to an AD group.
jrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 11:00am
I am also seeing this issue. Windows 10 1703, fully patched. I hadn't determined what the issue was, so thanks for doing the legwork there.
eprowe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eprowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 2:34pm
I've also experienced similar issues. Digging deep into the Event Viewer logs I've found the following events:

The Appx operation 'RegisterPackageAsync' on '{APPNAME}' failed for user '{USERNAME}' - Deployment Register operation with target volume C: on Package {APPNAME} from: (AppxManifest.xml) failed with error 0x80070005. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=235160 for help diagnosing app deployment issues.. (Error: Access is denied.)
'{APPNAME}' install failed for {USERNAME} and will be attempted after ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎16T20:01:39.699228800Z.
{APPNAME}' install failed for {USERNAME}. Error: 'Access is denied.' (0.18892 seconds)

These three events are logged where {APPNAME} is similar to the following:
'Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy'
'windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy'
'Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy'
'Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy'
'Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe'
'Microsoft.Windows.CloudExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy'
'Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager_cw5n1h2txyewy'

Most Windows Store apps that can be removed are removed before Windows is deployed. The only apps that are kept are Store, Edge, and Calc.
jrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 1:07pm
As an update, I've noticed recently that KB4056891 with UPM installed on Windows 10 x64 version 1703 will prevent users from opening Windows Explorer, Control Panel, Settings, etc. The only way I've been able to get it to work again is to remove this update (KB4056891) as well as some other security updates mentioned by the OP. And I've also noticed it seems more prevalent on machines with touch capabilities. Specifically, my issues have been very prevalent on Microsoft Surface Studios.
mantis2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mantis2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 11:03am
Any response or update from forensit on this please?

Thanks,
Chris
jrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 11:18am
I would also appreciate a response from Forensit Support. As of now, I'm unable to install Windows 10 1709 on any of my workstations because with User Profile Manager installed, I'm unable to open File Explorer, Control Panel, PC Settings, Windows Ink Workspace (for touch enabled devices) among other utilities unless UPM is not installed on the computer. I've also had to stop installing Windows updates because if I install any monthly cumulative updates from Microsoft with UPM installed, I run into issues as mentioned above. The machine is essentially unusable for my end users with File Explorer, etc prevented from opening. A response would be greatly appreciated or updates on development of a new version to further support newer releases of Windows 10.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 4:05am
We do hear you, and we do investigate reports of any problems. However, we are yet to be able to reproduce any of the problems mentioned in this thread. In particular, we can find no evidence whatsoever that Windows Updates cause any problems at all.

I don't doubt that you have a problem with Windows Updates, but the causes of that are going to be more complex than just having User Profile Manager installed.

Nevertheless, we are looking at this again. The issue, as is always the case, is that we can't fix problems we can't reproduce.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 4:23am
Perhaps we're looking at the wrong thing... What are you using User Profile Manager to do? Are you using it to assign a profile to a group of users?
bmather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 2:22pm
I have had the same problem since 1709 came out. I use profile manager to share a profile with a domain group of users. This setup is most effective for applications with huge amounts of data stored in user profile (IE: Autodesk). The start button stops working along with everything else listed above. Removing those updates works for a while but sometimes a second user login will break the user profile completely.
jrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 5:06pm
I'm using UPM to assign a local user account to a group of users located in Active Directory on our domain. I don't believe I'm doing anything out of the scope of the software, but I continue to see issues as stated above.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic