ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Profile name question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alex84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Profile name question
    Posted: 15 Jan 2009 at 4:49am
Hi im looking into user profile wizard ver3...

I have tried migrating one lab pc sucessfully with the following

domain1\username  --to--> domain2\anotheruser

The only thing that trubels me is that if i check under the C:\Documents and Settings
the old userprofile folder was "username.domain1" and now its named only "username"
is this right?

I thought it would be named anotheruser.domain2 otherwise it might conflict with say software distrubution or some other software that might use %username% variable ect.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2009 at 8:52am
Hi,

The profile folder name and the user name are treated independently by Windows. We know of no problems where the profile folder name does not match the user name.

If a user 'Jane' logs onto a Windows workstation, Windows will create a profile folder called 'Jane' regardless of whether she is logging on using a domain account or a local account. Only if a profile folder called 'Jane' already exists will Windows create a profile folder called Jane.domain1.

As far as User Profile Wizard is concerned, by default it will not rename the existing profile folder. With version 3.0 you can change this by setting the RenameProfileFolder attribute in the Profwiz.config file to 'True'

alex84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alex84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2009 at 1:16am

Okey i found this setting, tried it did not work. I then noticed that its under an comment

<!-- Corporate Edition Settings -->

Do i need an license for the app to notice this? Im running the free version now as of testing. If i get it to work right i will purchase alot of licenses to my company.

Best regards
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2009 at 5:16am
Yes, you do need the Corporate Edition of the Wizard. If you contact sales@ForensiT.com we will be happy to send you an evaluation copy.

Many Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic