ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Desktop Management
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Built-in apps lost after Defprof

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Built-in apps lost after Defprof
    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 12:20pm
I have just completed a deployment of 13 PCs to one of our clients.

The process I followed was:
- Run all updates including Windows 10 1803,
- Create a master profile,
- Use Defprof run as another admin user,
- Sysprep with generalise and shutdown,
- Image the disk (exact layout),
- Restore image.

After a user logged in they couldn't see any of the built-in apps (Windows Store, Calendar, Photos, Camera etc.).

I tried restoring them using PowerShell commands (add-appxpackage).

It was giddly and worked on few computers. (very strange as i followed the same process).

But the question is not how to rectify it but how to prevent this from happening

I have done a similar deployment a few months back when 1709 was the latest build and i didn't have problems like this.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?
mitchell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 9:07am
The same thing has happened to me in 1803.  The default apps file assocation come up with notification messages stating Edge resets back to default from Internet Explorer as well as Photos, jpgs, and other image file associations.  DefProf works fine in 1709, but not in 1803.  Using registry modifications to disable the notifications don't take effect either.  You can't use group policy to set the file associations afterwards to try to bypass or fix this issue.  This is with Defprof 1.11 .  So if you need a clean new user experience this current version will not work.  If you need to have different default apps instead of Edge and other Windows store apps, this won't work.
kazso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kazso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 3:44am
For the file associations you can use SetUserFTA. I tried it with 1809 (as GPO user login command) and got no more notifications about resetting the file associations.
This is the only working method i found for Windows 10 file associations.

Defprof 1.11 literally breaks the Windows Store Apps in 1809. If you create a master profile and set it as default with Defprof, then new users won't be able to login once the Windows Store Apps have been updated. You could disable the Store updates via GPO, but that's not something i would do.
pmeulman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmeulman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 1:03pm
I have this too! After sysprep all associated apps like eg Chrome VLC where set back to default. Build is 1803.17134.407
kazso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kazso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 6:50am
There seems to be a catch 22 about defprof.
If i want to make a master/golden image for deployment, then i have to do sysprep /generalize at the end. But the generalize option wipes the Store Apps (it's by design). At this point it doesn't matter if i used defprof or not.
To keep the Store Apps, i have to use copyprofile=true in the answer file, but this essentially creates a default profile, which defeats the purpose of defprof.

For me defprof seems to usable in these scenarios:

1. Deployed an image, Windows and Store Apps have been updated, but still want to change the default profile (updated/modified store apps break sysprep).
2. Creating a default profile for a single Windows installation.
3. Creating a master/golden image with sysprep without the "copyprofile=true" option and use lots of scripts after the deployment to setup and create a default profile.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic