ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Migration for users without administrative rights
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Migration for users without administrative rights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matraksis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Migration for users without administrative rights
    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 3:44am
Hello
Im using corporate edition 3.14, machines are Win10 1809. And single EXE migration. When I try to use that exe for users which have administrative rights - it works (even with UAC enabled).
But when user is not local admins group's member, when exe is started - we have to provide any administrative rights. Then migration fails and message in logs are "The specified <LocalAdmin> account domain\xxxxx does not have elevated permissions"

How to migrate machines without administrative rights for end user ???
Thanks !
Piotr Kania
zep042 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zep042 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 11:42am
I am having the same problem. Have you found a solution yet?
Thanks,
Dan
matraksis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matraksis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 8:23am
The only workaround solution I got from support is :
- Change migration scope for ALL accounts (not Logged on only).
- Run this tool as LOCAL SYSTEM credentials - by remote connection action f.e. Psexec -s
or to use any central tool for software management (generally it should start all packages as SYSTEM)

We've decided to add all domain users into local administrators group ONLY for the migration time.

Piotr Kania
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 2:41am
Seriously?

The whole point of User Account Control is that just because your are running as an Administrator does not mean that you have elevated administrator permissions. It is one of Microsoft's attempts to save you from yourself.

Here is a near twelve year-old post that explains how this works. Nothing has changed.

Given the widespread misunderstanding of UAC, we will be making changes to User Profile Wizard to make running as an Administrator more user-friendly, but we have our heads in our hands.

mwinberry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwinberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 3:00pm
I've just run into this today myself, using the <LocalAdmin> element in the config file generated by the wizard, calling the executable with a Powershell script that's launched elevated. On my Win10 (1803) workgroup test machine, I've created a local user account, added it to the local admin group, logged in and made sure that I've got admin rights, and get the same error in the log about not having elevated permissions. If I change the element via the Kit to contain the credentials for the built-in administrator account, it works. I'll try using psexec and running as system.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic