ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What happens to folder redirection settings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What happens to folder redirection settings
    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 6:24pm
Before attempting a user profile transfer from one WS2012R2 server to a new domain on a WS2016 server, I need to know what happens to the folder direction links. Do they remain pointing to the previous server, or do I have to reset them manually or by some other means?

Edited by Hamish - 21 Nov 2018 at 6:31pm
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 2:17am
Folder redirection settings are transferred unchanged. You will need to reset them.
Hamish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 3:01pm
Thanks. I suspected that would be the case but couldn't find confirmation in the User Guide.
Are there any suggestions about the best approach to resetting folder redirection links?
Sorry if I've missed something obvious...
dkelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dkelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 6:05pm
So I hope this may help someone else here that runs in to the same issue.

On our old DC, we had the documents and desktop folders redirected to our DC through GPO. I was very interested in trying this software after several painful DC migrations in the past and so after configuring our new AD environment with all GPO's for new folder redirects, I migrated my test PC and user account. Everything went flawlessly except for the wrong documents folder in the quick access bar and this pesky error that popped up everytime I logged a user account in that stated "The Recycle Bin on \\"old server"\redirectedfolders\user\Documents is corrupted" and an option to empty the recycle bin.

Even though the new GPO's worked and the documents folder was redirected to the new location, there was still the remnants of the old DC. I unpinned the non working documents folder and pinned the one from the new redirected location and preceded to drive myself a little crazy looking for a solution to the Recycle bin error.

Though a dialog box with no real consequence to the user account doesn't seem like much, asking 100+ employees to click yes or no to make this box disappear every time they log on to their workstations is something that would have gotten me fired.

But then after searching the internet forums far and wide and finding nothing I finally found it by running a search for the name of the old DC in regedit!

There are a few registry keys that need to be deleted on the machines that are having the issue:

"HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Personal"

"HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\My Documents"

"HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Desktop"

There may be more depending on how many profile folders were redirected, however look carefully at the string data and you will see the name of your former DC. Delete or update these keys and the remnants of the old redirection will disappear without having to remove redirects through GPO/ migrate to local profile/ migrate to new domain. I was able to directly migrate domain profiles from the old DC to the new forest almost seamlessly.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic