ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Move Computer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Notification center issues after transfer?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffhesser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Notification center issues after transfer?
    Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 8:48am
I have had a few instances of transfers from Win7 to Win10 that seem to leave the notification center broken in Win10. I've tried every suggestion I could find online about resetting that notification center but nothing seems to work. Anyone else run in to this? Most users notice the issue when Outlook does not send any kind of notificaiton.
will_c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will_c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 9:30am
I've also experienced this exact issue and have yet to figure out how to resolve this problem sadly.

I'm going to guess that it is likely a registry issue though since all the conventional fixes don't seem to work.

Things that I've tried:

Renaming the userclass.dat file

re-registering the action center using powershell:

Get-AppxPackage | % { Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppxManifest.xml" -verbose }

running DISM:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

And sfc/scannow

Nothing seems to bring it back to life.

If anyone else has any suggestions, I'm all ears.
cmuller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 2:12am
Same issue here, it's stop working with version 1903.

Same transfert file with Windows 10 1809, notification are working.

Hope it will update soon, Transwiz is useless now.
am View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote am Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 5:32pm
We've had the same issue on 8 out of 10 migrations. All profiles were ported from Win 7 to Win 10. Since there were notebooks involved this is a major issue. For notebook users there are vital buttons and settings in the notification area.

With Win 7 support coming to an end next month this fix would really be important.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 3:20am
The problem is fixed in version 1.17. This will be released before the new year.
am View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote am Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 5:46pm
That sounds great.

Could you release specifics about the problem and how to fix it in already migrated profiles?
Herrseiler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herrseiler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 8:01am
I also have two computers with that issue. Is there any to fix after the migration is done?

I would appreciate any answer.

Greetings
rjtort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 10:17pm
Add me to the "me too" list, asking for how to resolve this issue for user profiles that have already been transferred.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 11:00am
OK... The problem is caused by both missing keys and missing permissions on the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Quick Actions registry key. These keys and permissions are not present on earlier versions of Windows, so Transwiz has to create them.

The problem is hard to fix manually, because the permissions are for a non-user SID, so you can't just enter a username. We have written a PowerShell script which hopefully should help.

Firstly, you need a .reg file with the correct registry entries for the Quick Actions registry key. You can generate this yourself from a known working profile, or you can download ours here. Rename it QuickActions.reg

Next download the PowerShell script here. Rename the script Set-QuickActionsACL.ps1. Put the .reg file and the script in the same folder.

Open a PowerShell command console as the user. cd to the folder if you need to, and run ./Set-QuickActionsACL.ps1

rjtort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 2:29pm
Can confirm the script/registry file fixed the Action Center issue. Thank you so much! The only thing I had to do was re-enter the quotes in the PowerShell script in notepad. After that, worked flawlessly.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic