ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No indicator on finish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moporoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No indicator on finish
    Posted: 13 Mar 2007 at 3:33pm

I am using the profwiz command line as part of a script to migrate users from Novell to AD. My command line for a computer that has not already been joined to the domain is something like:

Profwiz.exe /DOMAIN ad.samford.edu /RENAME CN=5003-9B01234,CN=computers,DC=ad,DC=school,DC=edu /ACCOUNT johndoe@ad.school.edu /DOMAINADMIN X@ad.school.edu /DOMAINPWD X /KEY X /DISABLE /NOREMOVE /LOG

And that works fine, when it's finished it prompts me to reboot. My script recognizes this screen asking for a reboot and moves forward.

On a machine that has already been joined to AD (ex. one of two users has already run this script) then I need to use a slightly different command line so that it doesn't try to join the machine to AD again, but still migrates the profile. So I use something like:

Profwiz.exe /DOMAIN ad.samford.edu /ACCOUNT janedoe@ad.school.edu /DOMAINADMIN X@ad.school.edu /DOMAINPWD X /KEY X /NOJOIN /DISABLE /NOREMOVE /LOG

The problem with this version is that nothing ever pops up on the screen saying that it is finished with the migration. The only indicator I have that it was successful or failed is to look at the log it creates. This is also very problematic when writing my script because it is difficult to check the results of a log as opposed to receiving a nice message on the screen.

Is this something I am doing wrong or is the command line tool designed to make you guess when its completed its task?

Edited by moporoco - 13 Mar 2007 at 3:37pm
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2007 at 5:03pm

Hi,

The command line code is designed to run as silently as possible. Most of our customers ask about ways of suppressing *all* messages during the migration!

If you are using a vbscript you can check the return value from Profwiz.exe, and show a MsgBox to indicate that the migration has completed. User Profile Wizard follows the standard Windows convention of returning 0 (zero) for success and 1 (one) for failure. If you create a script using the Deployment Kit you can see how this is done. I'm guessing that you can do something similiar in a batch file, but we strongly recommend that you look at vbscript.
moporoco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moporoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2007 at 3:18pm
I have it working now but I have a few comments and questions.

I can understand wanting to run silently, but isn't there is a /silent option for that. As it stands now the script finishes migrating the profile, you get no message at all, you are left working in an account that is disabled, and you must read a log file to determine if you can reboot or not.

The option for checking the return value sounds useful. What is the stipulation that a 0 is returned? Is a 1 returned on any error and 0 returned only on a completely successful migration? Or is a 0 returned if the wizard completed regardless of some errors?

Also, you mentioned using the deployment kit to create a script, but looking through the options I did not see a way to prompt the user for his username or set the computer name at runtime. We are not migrating from a previous domain and there doesn't seem to be enough options using this method for our organization.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2007 at 8:04pm

Hi,

The Deployment Kit allows you to create a script that fully automates the migration process, without any user intervention. There is no option to prompt the user for their username, or for the computer name, because the script generated by the Deployment Kit queries the workstation directly to get this information. If the username is going to be different in the new domain, or if you want to rename the computer and create a computer account in a specific container, there are options for doing this. The Deployment Kit can also generate a script to migrate all user profiles on a workstation in one operation. Getting a technician to enter a username would be very inefficient; getting the end user to enter their username, computer name, etc. would make your migration project kind of interesting Wink

The Wizard returns 0 if all the tasks you have specified succeeded. So if you wanted to migrate a user profile and join the machine to a domain, the Wizard would only return 0 if both those operations were successful.

If you are joining a workstation to a new domain you will be prompted to reboot by default. Only if you use the /SILENT switch will you not be prompted. There is no need to look in the log file to see if the migration has succeeded.

If you want some help with generating a script, you are welcome to send us a mail at support@ForensiT.com

jordan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2007 at 7:10am
I'll send mail to you when i need help! 
groggrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote groggrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2007 at 8:04pm
Regarding return codes, it appears that there are only two:  0 for success and 1 for failure.  Are there any others in use by profwiz?  I'd like to see return codes added for specific error messages.  Is this something considered for a future build if not already there?

Thanks very much
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2007 at 3:29pm
Hi,

You are quite right - User Profile Wizard does only return 0 for success and 1 for failure. We are correctly working on User Profile Wizard 3.0 and will give your suggestion serious consideration.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic