ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Single Label Domain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
X1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote X1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Single Label Domain
    Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 11:03am
Hi, profile wizard should support domains without a proper tld if end users' workstations have the proper DNS server pointing at the domain controllers (and DNS service is working correctly) or if the workstations are in the same VLAN with the domain controllers (In a small network as you describe) and the name resolution is made via NetBios.

However, I strongly recommend to you that take the long and more painful path and go for the domain migration to a fully compliant domain.tld form as having what you call "single label domain" will hurt you in the future if your company/network grows and you need to start to integrate 3rd party solutions to your active directory which is quite common and in the future your network will be probably bigger and more complex to migrate.

You can migrate most of the stuff integrated to the domain gradually and "transparently" with a combination of AD migration tool and Profile Wizard, starting with a two-way domain trust between olddomain and newdomain.tld

Best regards,

X1.

Edited by X1 - 26 Aug 2019 at 11:04am
adaml_ipa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adaml_ipa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 10:24am
Our office network infrastructure is ancient, like Win Server 2003 ancient. In the past, we've only had a few user machines and servers actually connected to our domain, while the rest were set as workgroup devices. We're making the move to upgrade our DCs and move everyone onto the domain with Profile Wizard. The problem is that our domain name doesn't follow the more modern naming standards, it's still a Single Label Domain, like <domainName>, not <domainName>.com

I can get around this for newer versions of Windows itself to see our domain controller with a registry setting, but Profile Wizard still throws an error saying the domain controller is unavailable or can't be found.

I've looked at the troubleshooting steps in the user guide mentioning adding Forwarders to our DNS server, but I'm not sure if we fall into that category.

Does Profile Wizard even support single domain labels?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic