ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Basic Migration Question.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hboogz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Basic Migration Question.
    Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 11:01am
I read through the manual, but i didn't see this obvious point stated. I plan on decommission a child domain and i need to obviously move the computer/user accounts in addition to migrate their respective profiles.

No where in the documentation does it mention where am i migrating the profiles to ?

In other words, do i run PROFwiz before i have the users log into the new domain ?

Please see the following:

DomainA
DomainB
jsmith of DomainA
jsmith of DomainB(original)

Step1: Perform ADMT to migrate users/groups from DomainB to DomainA
Step2: Use Profwiz from a central server at the site to migrate profiles and join each machine individually(using Free version) to the new DomainA.

what happens when jsmith, originally from DomainB, logs into DomainA from the same computer for the first time ?

Nothing in the documenation indicates that the users need to log into the new domain at least once in order for Profwiz to work correctly, and i assume they don't have to -- but, why/how?

I technically don't want to "share" profiles. I just want the copy the existing profile to the new profile.

Looking forward to hearing from someone.
hboogz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hboogz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 11:04am
Also, the samAccountname, rather the username from DomainB will be identical in DomainA.

Jsmith = DomainB
Jsmith = DomainA

I will not be changing the username in the new Domain.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 11:41am
Hi,

We would recommend you run User Profile Wizard before your users logon to the new domain. The Wizard will migrate the user profile and join the machine to the new domain for you. When jsmith logs into the new domain (DomainA) they will simply continue to use their existing profile.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic