ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NBNS Lookup failure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kjbrand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NBNS Lookup failure
    Posted: 15 Aug 2009 at 1:12pm
While attempting to join a domain and migrate a profile I received this dialog:

ForensiT User Profile Wizard v3.0.1133
Personal Edition (Single User License)
Copyright (c) 2002-2009 ForensiT Ltd
www.ForensiT.com
Finding Domain Controller for domain overhauser.local... Done.
Using Domain Controller:
\\SBS.overhauser.local.
Binding to Active Directory... Done.
Getting Domain SID for user "cmiller"... Done.
SID is S-1-5-21-1065903647-1332807057-2393574880-1147
Checking for roaming profile...Done.
No roaming profile path set.
Setting Registry ACLs... Done.
Set Registry ACLs in 4.656 seconds.
Setting Profile ACL...1283.340 seconds.
Updating restore points... Done.
Creating Profile registry keys... Done.
Joining to domain "overhauser.local" ...
WARNING: NBNS lookup failure.
Retrying...
Migration Complete!

Can you tell me how to fix the NBNS lookup failure?  I can ping the domain controller shown and I can join the domain from another workstation...

Thanks,

Kim

P.S. LOVE your product! 
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2009 at 8:25am
Hi Kim,

NBNS (NetBIOS Name Service) lookup failures occur when Windows cannot resolve the NetBIOS name of the domain to an IP address. This is different to the DNS name which is tested by ping.

Check any WINS settings that you have. We also always recommend having the correct "Forwarders" entries in place on your existing DNS servers. (See the "Troubleshooting" section of the User Guide.) As a workaround, you can try specifying the DNS name of the domain, so mydomain.com not MYDOMAIN.

If you have the Corporate Edition you can bypass NetBIOS altogether by forcing User Profile Wizard to exclusively use LDAP by setting the <ProtocolPriority> value in Profwiz.config:

<ProtocolPriority>LDAP</ProtocolPriority>

jdixon1159 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdixon1159 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 10:17am

I am migrating users from domain A to domain B.  There is a domain controller in the location.  The domain A DNS server has a copy of domain B forward and reverse zone files.

I am getting the NBNS Lookup Failure as well.   Do I need to have WINS installed in Domain A and Domain B.  Would a hosts file work as well?

Jimmy
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 1:59pm

Hi Jimmy,

No, you don't need to have WINS installed; neither should you need to implement a hosts file. The NBNS lookup failure is a warning: it is not in itself a fatal error. It does however indicate that Windows cannot resolve the domain name to an IP address using NetBIOS.

The first thing to do is check whether you are using a 'flat' domain name like DOMAIN, or a DNS name like domain.local. If you are using a DNS name, try using a flat name.

If this does not work, try forcing User Profile Wizard to use LDAP by setting the <ProtocolPriority> value in Profwiz.config to 'LDAP': <ProtocolPriority>LDAP</ProtocolPriority> If you do this, you may have to use a UPN domain administrator name like administrator@domain.local

compuhustler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compuhustler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 4:46pm
We are also getting the nbns lookup failure from remote pcs, over a point to point connection.  We have made sure that WINS is installed, and working.  The internal DNS server, and WINS server are both added to the network settings of the client pc.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 4:59am
The first thing to do is ensure that you are using the latest build of User Profile Wizard - 3.0.1134. The 1134 build is more tolerant of NBNS errors.

The error indicates that Windows is unable to resolve the domain name you have specified to an IP address. As a workaround try specifying the domain name in a different format: for example use DOMAIN instead of domain.com.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic