ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problem looking up user

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidhole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem looking up user
    Posted: 27 Mar 2007 at 12:16pm
Hello,

I am trying out this to see if it would be a usefull application for our company to buy.

I have just recently added a new site to our AD and promoted one server to a DC at that site.

When I try to use Profwiz to add a computer to the domain it findes the server conects to the domain but is then unable to find the user in AD.
If i use the normal way through windows to join the domain everything works fine.

Thanks for your help.

David
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2007 at 12:35pm
Hi David,

User Profile Wizard needs the user account to exist before it is run; it doesn't create the user account. Does the account exist? If so, is there an error number returned when the account is not found?
davidhole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidhole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2007 at 2:18pm
Hi,

when I run it i get the following.

Finding Domain Controller for domain PC-POSUK... Done.
Using Domain Controller: \\sql-server.PC-POSUK.Local.
Binding to Active Directory... Done.
Getting Domain SID for user "stevem@pc-posuk.local"... Fails.

That user does exist in AD i have even managed to log on to another machine that is connected to the domain using that user name.

Thanks
David
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2007 at 2:55pm
As a test, do you get the same result if you specify the name in NetBIOS format - stevenm - instead of in UPN format?

Thanks.
davidhole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidhole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2007 at 3:35pm
Hi,
Getting Domain SID for user "stevem"... Fails.

Nope that don't work either.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2007 at 4:14pm
David,

Is \\sql-server.PC-POSUK.Local the server that you prompted to a DC?
davidhole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidhole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2007 at 5:19pm
Yes it is the server, I have checked the logs for any replication problems and all looks fine.

This server was also made a GC server. 
Thanks

Edited by davidhole - 28 Mar 2007 at 5:20pm
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2007 at 10:13am
You were reading my mind Smile

We need to dig a bit deeper into what is going on. Can you email support@ForensiT.com?

Thanks.

Edited by Support - 29 Mar 2007 at 10:24am
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2007 at 3:45pm

To update everyone following this thread, the problem only seems to occur with the Personal Edition of the Wizard. The problem does not occur with the Corporate Edition.

We will be releasing an updated build of the Personal Edition in the near future.

Update
The updated build is now available see here.

Edited by Support - 27 Apr 2007 at 1:58pm
j.patton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.patton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2007 at 4:17pm
I am in a similar situation.  I requested a"trial" of the Corporate Edition and got a 7-day license.  I tried using it, but the program crashes when it is trying to get the SID of the domain account I specified.  I tried the Personal Edition and it does not have this issue.

The version # for the CE is 2.5.1105 and the version # for the PE 2.5.1104.

Are there any logs or crash "dumps" that I can send to help diagnose the problem?

UPDATE:
I reimaged the PCs I was testing with and ran the tool again.  Here are the results of the CE:

PC #1:  Made it to the point where the GUI prompts for a domain account to join the new domain.  I entered appropriate credentials.  The status screen was at the point where it was looking for the domain SID for the new account and it just exited like the program was finished.  I checked the task manager and it wasn't running.  It didn't do anything as far as migrating profile.

PC #2:  Again entered the credentials for a domain account.  Once it got to the point where it was looking for the domain SID it returned an error: The instruction at "0x7c910c27" referenced memory at "0x0013ea25".  The memory could not be "read".

Both of these are XP SP2 images. 

Edited by j.patton - 17 Aug 2007 at 8:41pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic