ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Error 53.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zmad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Error 53.
    Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 8:59am

Good morning,

For some PCs we have the 'Client for Microsoft Networks' disabled and for some it is enabled. By testing Profwiz with the 'Client for Microsoft Networks' Enabled everything is good. But if the 'Client for Microsoft Networks' is disabled we get an error53: the network path is not found!! Can we do something for this last scenario?

Thank you

Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 9:07am
Yes, you can enable Client for Microsoft Networks!

If the Microsoft Client is not installed on a machine, other machines on the network cannot see it; that is why you get error 53.

To migrate machines remotely, the Microsoft client needs to be installed and file sharing enabled. If this is not possible you need to run User Profile Wizard locally.
zmad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zmad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 9:51am
Yes but the Novell Client is installed on all the PCs! and we can ping a PC even if it has not the Microsoft client!
Also, we are running the migration locally! Thumbs%20Down

Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 10:29am
So are you getting this error connecting to the domain (during the migration) or to a workstation?

I will check, but I think having the Microsoft client installed is neccessary for joining a Windows domain. (I will check.) Can you join the machine to the domain manually?
zmad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zmad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 10:44am
Yes it is related to the domain! I can not join the PC to the domain manually!
same erreur: the network path was not found.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 4:11am
Hi,

We've had a bit more time to look at this. The Microsoft client must be installed and enabled. (The problem isn't really related to the domain.) This is a Windows requirement not a User Profile Wizard requirement.

If the Microsoft Client is not installed, User Profile Wizard throws up a warning and won't let you go any further. In this case, because the Microsoft client was installed but disabled, the warning didn't appear.

We've tried with the default NetBIOS configuration and with a DNS/LDAP configuration and Error 53 ("The network path was not found") occurs in all circumstances.

In your post above you seemed concerned that the Novell Client is already installed on the workstation. There is no problem having both the Novell Client and the Microsoft Client installed (and enabled) at the same time.

zmad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zmad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 7:30am

Hi thank you for the good support! I think it is a good idea if this requirement could be added in the User Profile Guide!

A while back, it was recommended that the MS client be removed from workstations if it was not being used, in order to enhance performance. So that's the way we configured our workstations for a time.
On more recent "imaged" workstations, we stopped bothering to remove it. But I've found that we've still got a bunch of older winxp boxes out there that don't have the MS client installed.

To join a PC to Active Directory with User profile Wizard or (do it manually), it needs the MS client installed on the workstations.

So, I've got to insure that "client for ms networking" is installed and enabled on
all our workstations. Is it possible to "push" it out with a policy? Or a sneaky windows command-line? Or any other method?

I found that the MS snetcfg.exe can install the client (if it is not installed on a PC), but if the client is installed and not enabled, snetcfg.exe can’t do anything!!!!

I am looking for a way to enable the Client for Microsoft Networks. Can anyone help?

Thank you 

Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2009 at 6:32am
Hi,

We've had a quick look into this, and the news is not good. There does not seem to be a WMI call you can make, or a Group Policy you can enable to fix this. If you find anything please let us know!
seansquared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seansquared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 3:44pm
I need to bump this topic from Dec 2009... yikes!

I am evaluating automating push migrations with ForensiT tools. The DC is running Windows Server 2008 R2. The workstation in question is running Windows XP. Both systems have Client for Microsoft Networks installed in their applicable NICs. I can manually join the workstation to the domain without any issues. I can manually run User Profile Wizard to join the workstation to the domain without any issues. When I run Profbat (which did not at all work upon copying Profbat.exe into the Deployment Files folder, running User Profile Wizard Command Line, typing Profbat and pressing Enter as outlined in the manual, by the way...), I get this same "The network path cannot be found" and "Error 53" issue.

The DC can see the workstation just fine. The DC can ping and resolve the workstation name just fine.

Thoughts?
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2011 at 2:07am
It is the same error number but not the same error.

If you are doing a push migration are you using Profbat? Profbat uses a lookup file to get the computer names. Have you only got one line in the file? Open it in notepad, go to the end of the line and press the return key so the cursor drops to the next line. Then save the file. Profbat expects all lines in the lookup file to be terminated with a carriage return.

If this is not the problem (it usually is) please post the exact output from Profbat or email support@ForensiT.com

Thanks.

Edited by Support - 11 Jun 2011 at 2:41am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic