ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SBS 2003

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aceracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SBS 2003
    Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 11:30am

I am getting ready to re-install the O/S on an SBS 2003 server. Are there any special instructions for this?? Does your User Profile Wizard replace the "connect computer" operation in SBS?

I looked through the user guide but didn't see any mention of SBS.
THANX!
Bruce
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 11:56am
Hi Bruce,

User Profile Wizard needs to be run on each workstation, of course, but yes you can use it instead of "connect computer". There aren't any special instructions for SBS 2003.
Aceracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aceracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 12:01pm
Hey THANX for the prompt response!!

I guess the thing I'm wondering about is,, since I'll be re-installing the O/S on the same server do I still use the "old server name" when running the tool, even though the old server name no longer exists?
THANX!
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 12:30pm
Yes, you can use the same server/domain name. However, when you run User Profile Wizard make sure there is a tick in the "Join Domain" checkbox on the "User Account Information" page (set <ForceJoin> to true in Profwiz.config if you have the Corporate Edition) so that you force Profwiz to rejoin the domain.
Aceracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aceracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 9:30pm
I just finished using your tool to add a few new clients to my SBS network.
There ARE a few considerations when using your tool with SBS. Your tool should NOT be used to join the machine to the profile until AFTER joining it using the "Connect Computer" wizard. The machine will not be properly joined to the SBS domain unless the "connect computer" wizard is used.
After joining the client using the SBS wizard I used your tool to move the old profile to the new one. This led to another consideration. If using "folder redirection" when the "my documents" folder (these are XP machines) is moved to the new profile it retains the path to the old domain making it inaccessible. By default you can not change the path. I found instructions for using a registry edit to allow the path to be changed to the new domain allowing access.
 What are the considerations when multiple profiles are used? I have one machine shared by 3 users with 3 profiles.
It's a great tool though!!  It Will save a lot of time.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 7:39am
Thanks for the update on SBS. We'll have a look at "Connect Computer" again...

Once you have migrated one user and joined the domain, you can just run User Profile Wizard again to migrate the other user accounts: you shouldn't have to do anything special. Remember you should reboot immediately after joining the domain. Also, it is good practice to reboot if you have migrated a user account that is currently logged in.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic