ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Move Computer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FROM Domain TO Workgroup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FROM Domain TO Workgroup
    Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 12:14pm
Hi....newbie here....

Will this tool work to move a machine FROM a domain INTO a workgroup?  We are in the process of decomissioning the old server and want to use a workgroup instead.  Will this tool, or any of the others from Forensit, accomplish this?

TIA,

Jim
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 2:27pm
Yes, User Profile Wizard can move domain account profiles to local accounts: you just need to select the local computer name from the drop-down list where it says "Enter the domain" on the "User Account Information" page. However, the Wizard cannot automatically unjoin the machine from the domain; you need to do that yourself.
jimg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 2:44pm
Ok. A few questions if I might.   Will the wizard move -all- of the user profile stuff? Will it correctly handle outlook .pst files and other outlook setting files (such as account info and nk2) ? We are using POP. NOT exchange. Because it's pop when you create a new profile it re-downloads any email sitting on the pop server--I'm trying to avoid this. Also do I remove the machine from the domain before or after I run the wizard moving program? Thanks!!! Jim
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 3:06pm
User Profile Wizard reconfigures the existing profile, so everything is migrated: Outlook settings are unchanged, although you will have to re-enter the passwords.

It shouldn't make any difference whether you remove the machine from the domain before or after. It is probably slightly easier to do it after migrating the profiles, but make sure you reboot before logging in, and do not logon with the domain accounts after migrating the profiles.
jimg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 5:44pm
Thanks for this great info. I just purchased it and will be using it later tonight. Do I install it on the OLD server 2000 (domain controller but cannot run dot.net), the new windows 7 WORKGROUP machine, or each client workstation I want to migrate from domain to workgroup. There are only 8 workstations. Thanks again! Jim
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 4:59am
Hi Jim,

You need to run the setup on one workstation and then take the Profwiz.exe and Profwiz.config files to the machines you want to migrate. Please see the "Installation" section of the User Guide.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic