ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Move Computer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transwiz.exe Error

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxgruv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transwiz.exe Error
    Posted: 18 May 2007 at 4:53pm
I just downloaded the User Profile Transfer Wizard and tried running it a couple of times. Each time I ran it I received an error immediately after initiating the transfer process. Below are the error details. Any suggestions? I'm using this to transfer a profile attached to a domain from one computer to another also attached to that domain.

Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2007 at 7:44pm

Hi,

This is not a known issue. The error probably relates to a problem with the zip engine that we are using, but it is very hard to trace this. Is it possible to send us the _appcompat.txt file mentioned in the error? There may also be a mini dump file. If you could email these to support@ForensiT.com it would be extremely useful.

Many Thanks.
infitom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infitom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2009 at 8:08am
I had it failing about 50% of the time on restoring the data to the new machine.  

It would just say FAIL when unpacking the transfer file.

There was a message on their forum about running CCleaner, which did nothing to fix the problem for us. 

I banged away on this for several hours:

1. It WAS NOT because the source machine was SP2 and the target was SP3.
  2. It was not a corrupt transfer file--I could unzip it using Windows XP compressed folders.  The files in it compared well to new ones.
  3. It was not the Outlook PST file that was many hundreds of MB
We finally figured out that if we took the .ZIP transfer file (in this case around 900MB), unzip it with another utility (even XP's built-in one) and take some of the files out (we purged Internet Explorer TEMP files) reducing the size below 300MB, it would transfer. 

I agree that there is something broken with the decompression library used.

I hope this saves everyone several hours of head banging like it did for me.

I love this product, and wanted to take the extra time to post and tell you that this and ProfWiz are two of the nicest utilities out there.  If there is ever anything I can do now or in the future to support you guys, call on me. 

Email me if you need to:

Tom at ID-COMPANY.NET

(Note:  My posting login id is tied to my junkmail at: TOMJ@id-company.net).

Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2009 at 3:53am
Hi Tom,

Many thanks for your feedback, it is much appreciated.

As you say, everything points to these problems because caused by the decompression library not handling large numbers of files, or very large files. We intend to rebuild Transwiz just as soon as we can.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic