ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Desktop Management
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Did I mess something up?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did I mess something up?
    Posted: 25 Jun 2010 at 2:41pm
After using your tool, I now have the following in the UPM dialog:

JIM\ Jim Local Local
JIM\Fullname Jim Local Local

When my computer (win7) boots, the login screen is different now. I see a single tiny user icon, which I have to select before entering a password. Before, it was already selected because there was (and is) only 1 user. How do I get rid of one of these without it deleting the path? And which one am I currently using? I don't find this tool very intuitive, but I admit, I don't understand the concepts either. Windows still only sees 1 user account.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 3:51am
Hi,

User Profile Manager is designed to allow you to manage the profile a user gets when they logon to their machine. Generally it is used to allow multiple user accounts to use the same profile by assigning that profile to a Group. If you only have one user account the software is probably not for you. What were you hoping the software would do for you when you installed it?

One easy way to find out what profile is currently being used is to start a command prompt - by default the command prompt will start in the current profile folder.

jimc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 10:35am
When I got this machine, my user path was C:\Users\Fullname. There was no way to rename this. I wanted to create a complete copy of my user data into C:\Users\Jim, then delete the original. Is there a way that I can now remove the "JIM\Fullname Jim Local Local" entry so that only "JIM\ Jim Local Local" remains? And why does that second entry not have a user name assigned to it. It's the one I am logging into now.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 11:09am
If the copy has been successful and you are sure that you are using the copy, then you should be able to remove the original profile by clicking delete. However, if in doubt don't delete anything! 

The "local local" suffix is not familiar and I don't know why a user name would not be assigned. If you would like us to look at this please send a screen shot to support@forensit.com

Edited by Support - 26 Jun 2010 at 11:17am
jimc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 3:58pm
Here's a screenshot:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~jimc/UPM.jpg

I seem to tbe logged into the first profile right now, the one with no name. I am worried that if I delete the second one, since they are tied to the same folder, that I will lose them both, and not be able to login at all any more. Also, how do I set the name for this profile?
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 8:18am
Thanks for posting the screenshot - it is pretty messed up Ermm

The first entry in the list has no username. For the moment, we have no idea how this could have come about - we've not seen it before.

The second thing to say is that there is no copy of the profile here: both entries point to the same profile, so (because it is messed up) please do not delete anything.

The profile seems to be called C:\Users\Jim. Isn't that what you wanted?

jimc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 11:44am
Yes, but my machine is still acting as if there are 2 profiles. At the login screen, I have to select the 1 profile before I can type the password. I didn't have to do that before. And in various places, my full name still shows up (eg names, paths).

Is there a place in the registry that lists all the accounts that I can fixup to resolve this?
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 5:05am
Just to be absolutely clear, remember that user accounts and user profiles are not the same thing. A user account is represented by the name you logon with; a user profile is the data and settings associated with that account. By default the user profile folder (C:\Users\Jim) has the same name as your account, but it can be called anything at all. Only one profile can be assigned to a user account.

User Profile Manager manages profiles - the data and settings associated with a user account, it does not manage the user accounts themselves.

When you say that your “machine is still acting as if there are 2 profiles” what you should say is that your machine is acting as if it has two accounts, and that you have to select the one account before you type the password.

This is exactly what should happen. User Profile Manager is designed to work in a domain environment where there will always be logon choices. If you want to go back to just typing in the password, uninstall the software: User Profile Manager is not actively managing profiles on your machine anyway: you only have one account.
jimc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 1:05pm
Will uninstalling the software undo the second account? Why is my machine acting as if there are two accounts when there is only one to select?
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 7:44am
Yes it will. The different logon screen is a function of having User Profile Manager installed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic