ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Domain to workgroup migration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Domain to workgroup migration
    Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 2:25pm
Hi,

I am looking for a tool or a reliable set of steps that will properly migrate a domain user profile to a workgroup profile on our Windows 7 machines. We are moving our small company into a full cloud based solution as we no longer want to deal with colo/hw/sw/licensing maintenance and the cloud has become a viable alternative. At some point we will have no domain controller and will need to switch our users laptops from domain computers to workgroup computers. I would like very much to be able to migrate the users domain profiles to local profiles as opposed to starting them over from scratch. Searches have so far not turned up solid and definitive solutions. W7 easy grandest wants to just copy the profile to the same exact profile. Manually switching the registry profile path doesn't deal properly with permissions. I have still to test USMT. Commercial options would also be considered if I could just find one!

Any thoughts or suggestions would be gratefully appreciated!

Thanks
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 4:24am

Hi,

User Profile Wizard can certainly migrate a domain account profile to a local user account. It will not create the local account for you - you will need to do that in advance - but once the local account is created you just choose the local machine name from the "Enter the domain" drop-down box on the "User Account Information" page and enter the local account name.

Also User Profile Wizard will not unjoin the machine from the domain - you will have to do this separately.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 6:18pm
Great, thanks.

I am assuming that the order of steps would be:

1 - Create local user
2 - transfer profile
3 - Leave domain

Is this correct?

Thanks again!
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 3:40am
Correct Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic