ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roaming profile error

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcFu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roaming profile error
    Posted: 12 Jun 2007 at 4:05pm
Hello,

I am trying to test this product "profwiz.exe" but I am getting the error:

"the profile wizard has been unable to determine if the user has a roaming profile . . ." then the program errors out.  I don't want to share a profile, but would rather simply give it to another user.

The share profile checkbox is not selected, only the profile I wish to give to the user.  The user does not have a roaming profile.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2007 at 8:11pm
Hi,

This problem is not related to the sharing of profiles. User Profile Wizard has to be extremely careful about roaming profiles: if you assign a local profile to a user who already has a roaming profile, the local user profile will be wiped out (and all the data lost) when the user with the roaming profile logs on. For this reason, the Wizard checks to see if the user account you are assigning the profile to has a roaming profile. If, for some reason, the Wizard is unable to check this with the Domain Controller, the free version of the Wizard will abort. However, if you are running the Corporate Edition of the Wizard you will be asked what you want to do.

The fact that the Wizard is unable to determine whether a user account has a roaming profile is usually indicative of an underlying connection problem. This may be a DNS or LDAP issue, or it may simply be a permissions problem.

MrMcFu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcFu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2007 at 7:02pm
DNS seems okay, as does WINS.  I use domain administrator credentials to run the program, so I am not sure what the issue is . . . It's not a killer, but it would be better not to have that pop-up.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2007 at 2:25pm
Most customers won't see the pop-up message. We think that it is better to have the error than risk data being lost. Smile
hypherion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hypherion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2007 at 2:30am
Hi,
I am getting the same error message. You mention DNS or connectivity issues however I can resolve and ping the DC just fine. User profile wizard gets all to the point where it shows:
"Opening LDAP://.." with the correct DC name and LDAP DN.

I can also join or log in to the secondary domain which I'm trying to migrate to. The two domains are set up in a trust.

What could the problem be? I'm looking into purchasing the corporate edition as we have quite a few machines to update and scripting will make it easier, but at the moment I'm just testing with a few of them.

Thanks.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 11:14am

What error number is being shown in User Profile Wizard?

jspinhirne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jspinhirne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2007 at 5:00pm

I have about 200 machines to convert and my boss is requiring me to test this on a few machines before we purchase.  Here is what I have run into on 12 machines.  All on domain A and all on DHCP.  We are joining Domain B and on three of the machines I get "The roamining profile message."  None of the users have roaming profiles.  I am telling the program to share profiles and to join Domain B.  I am a domain admin on both domains and I am running the profile wizard under the local administrator account.  I have also tried running this with my domain admin login with the same results.  Any suggestion on how to get around this. 

Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2007 at 5:30pm
Hi,

Are you testing the Corporate Edition of the Wizard?
jspinhirne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jspinhirne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2007 at 5:41pm
Currently we are testing the Free Limited Version that we can download from your site.  version 2.5.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2007 at 8:02pm
Email us at support@ForensiT.com or sales@ForensiT.com and we'll send you an evaluation copy of the Corporate version.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic