ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vista - what was I doing wrong?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Farrington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vista - what was I doing wrong?
    Posted: 05 Jul 2007 at 10:27am
I haven't tried your tool on Vista yet, as I have as much as possible tried to avoid it (Vista) like the plague, but I think you guys might know the answer to something that's been bothering me..
(please see this usenet discussion)
(in summary:)
I have been manually migrating profiles for a while now, but it does not work with Vista. The symptoms are generally:

IE Phishing Filter doesn't work
Tools -> Internet Options broken in IE.
Windows Defender broken
Network Connections broken.
and other problems.

I am presuming there are some registry keys for which regedit hasn't been able to alter the ACLs. Can you tell me if that's the case? I preusme your tool worked fine on 2000/XP and when Vista came out you must've ran into the same problem?

Thanks for writing such a great tool anyway. I've just forwarded a link to an IT manager that I deal with.
Carl

Edited by Carl Farrington - 05 Jul 2007 at 10:28am
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2007 at 3:52pm

Hi Carl,

There are is whole heap of reasons why just copying the profile may be a problem, but most likely the problems you are seeing are related to the additional security built into Vista. These include  Internet Explorer Protected Mode and Registry virtualization. See

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/ie7protectedmode.mspx

and

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb530198.aspx

Additionally, the profile file structure has changed in Vista, and Vista makes heavy use of symbolic links in the file system to provide backwards compatibility. To see this, open a command prompt and type dir /a:hs Smile

Carl Farrington View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Farrington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2007 at 11:51am
Thanks for the advice :)
Whilst I really like your tool, I really do like understanding what's going on with things so I'd rather learn how to do it manually, and then use your tool for ease and simplicity, than just use your tool and not understand what's being done.

Same goes for all these spyware removal tools that those friendly "post us your hijackthis logs" forum people tell users to run. Not many seem to know what the tool is actually doing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic