ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Simple File Sharing problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lohphat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simple File Sharing problem
    Posted: 07 Jul 2007 at 12:51am
I can across a test case where the profile was still using simple file sharing and "Make my folder private" was active.

When I logged in as that account and ran profwiz it ran without error or warning, but when I logged in with the domain account after reboot, the profile was inaccessable by the domain account.  Also the owner of the files was incorrect and the perms were all wrong.  It was a mess to fix.

Then I tried another similar profile but instead unchecked the "Make my filder private", let it update the permissions, then unchecked the "Use simple file sharing" in the Folder View menu.  Then I logged out, logged in as the local administrator then ran profwix -- then everything worked OK.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2007 at 2:49pm

Hi,

When you set "Make this folder private" all Access Control Entries (ACEs) are removed from the ACL of the folder except for the SYSTEM account and the user account in question. If the profile folder itself is made private, user Profile Wizard will warn you when you try to migrate it.

However, User Profile Wizard does not check subfolders, so you are quite right to point out that you need to uncheck "Make this folder private" on any folders that have been made private. Just unchecking "Use simple file sharing" on its own won't work.

lohphat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lohphat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2007 at 2:24pm
However the fatal problem (which is painful to fix) is if the user has selected "Make folder private" *then* unchecks "Simple file sharing".

Once ProfWiz does its thing and joins the domain, there's no going back and every subfolder has to be touched manually to fix the Owner (which is set to an "unknown account").
kingandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2008 at 4:57am
k i work for a hospital and i had to use profwiz to add the dr's onto the domain. i got the make this folder private problem.

problem is the dr wants to be taken off the domain now. the profile is there but i cant get it back to normal. can anybody help pls?!!!
kingandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2008 at 4:59am

when i use profwiz again and log in i get Details: incorrent function

Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2008 at 5:27am
Hi,

Have you now taken the machine off the domain? To be clear: you see the "Incorrect function" message when you attempt to logon to the machine as the user, is that correct?

Can you logon using another account? If you can, you could run Profwiz.exe again and assign the profile back to the user's original (local) account. If the profile does not appear in the profile list, click the "Unassigned Profiles" check box.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic