ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Local vs Domain user names

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francisswest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Local vs Domain user names
    Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 3:20pm
We have a mixed environment with some domain users and some local accounts. We would like to map both types of accounts to a new domain account, and have found a way to accomplish this. Our users.csv looks like this:

user1@old.domain.net,user1@new.domain.net
localuser1,user2@new.domain.net

The first line works great, and the account is migrated without issue. However since each computer name is different, we are having a hard time trying to figure out how to specify that "localuser1" is on the local machine, and not the domain. Is there a suffic or prefix we could add to it to make the program know that it is on the local machine only?

Thanks
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 5:38am

Hi,

Which accounts User Profile Wizard migrates depends on how the migration has been set up. If you are automating the migration of multiple profiles, the <OldDomain> value in Profwiz.config specifies which account profiles get migrated. If you specify an <OldDomain> value only accounts from that domain will be migrated. If <OldDomain> is blank, only local account profiles will be migrated. If you are migrating the "currently logged on user" the account - local or domain - is specified on the command line.

In either case, User Profile Wizard looks only for the username in the lookup file: it does not look for any domain information. If you have a line like

oldusername,newusername

it does not matter whether oldusername is a domain account or a local account, it will still get mapped to newusername. What deterimes whether oldusername is a domain or local account is how the migration has been set up, not the users.csv file.

francisswest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francisswest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 10:24am
Thanks for getting back to me regarding this, and it does make sense. I kind of figured that the program assumed the oldusernamehere was at the old domain. My question then is kind of odd, and doesnt apply to every computer we have. (To be clear, we absorbed this mini set of computers that were poorly managed prior to our taking them over)

The result is that we have computers with accounts that are both local, and domain accounts. To add to the complexity, some of the local accounts have the same name as domain accounts, and they are all being mapped to 1 domain account (i'm assuming profile sharing is involved here)

So our thought goes something like this

localaccount,domainaccount
domainaccount,domainaccount

I'm sorry if this is darn confusing, but any assistance would be much appreciated. My assumption (from the above post) is that there is no real way to grab both local and domain accounts if they have the same name, and migrate them to a domain account? If that is so, can I use the profile wizard AFTER running the migration, to migrate the local user, or even share that local users profile with the domain one?

Again, I hope this makes sense. If it doesnt, please feel free to send me a PM, and I can give you my skype info.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 3:40am
No, there is no way to migrate local and domain accounts on the same machine in the same operation. However, you can certainly run User Profile Wizard again, after the initial migration, to migrate the remaining local accounts.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic